Consumer Business Economic Update
Volume 6: June 2014
Key indicators combine with analyst sentiments, search engine and social media trends to provide a revealing snapshot of Canada’s consumer business sector.
The sixth edition of Deloitte’s Consumer Business economic update for Canada provides a snapshot of key business indicators across the retail, consumer packaged goods (CPG) and travel, hospitality and leisure (THL) sectors.
The newsletter also aggregates search-related data for online travel, products and shopping with social media trends and analyst sentiment.
- Growth of the Canadian economy slowed down slightly in Q1 2014, with real GDP growth of 1.2%.
- Same store sales growth rates were slightly lower compared to the same quarter in the previous year.
Travel, hospitality and leisure trends
- The THL sector saw growth in the Hotel and Food Service sub-sectors, but posted a decline in Travel.
Consumer packaged goods
- The CPG sector experienced growth in Health and Personal Care Products, while Food and Beverage and Household Supplies declined.
- Classified ads website Kijiji and Netflix, the U.S. provider of on-demand Internet streaming media, remained on top of shopping searches with "kijiji" and "netflix" holding the top two spots.
Read the full Consumer Business economic report to gain more interesting insights. For more information, please contact our team.
National Consumer Business Leader
Financial Advisory, Consumer Business Practice Leader
National Retail Sector Leader
National THL Sector Leader
National Consumer Products & Food Sector Leader
Financial Advisory, Food and Beverage Leader