Consumer Business Economic Update
Key indicators combine with analyst sentiments, search engine and social media trends to provide a revealing snapshot of Canada’s consumer business sector.
The tenth edition of Deloitte’s Consumer Business economic update for Canada provides a snapshot of key business indicators across the retail, consumer packaged goods (CPG) and travel, hospitality and leisure (THL) sectors.
The newsletter also aggregates search-related data for online travel, products and shopping with social media trends and analyst sentiment.
- The Canadian economy experienced a -0.4% real GDP growth rate in Q1 2015, which is in contrast to the strong sales in retail store categories and consumer confidence.
- Same store sales growth showed a strong increase versus a year ago across the largest Canadian retailers.
Travel, hospitality and leisure trends
- The majority of key indicators in travel, hospitality and leisure were positive for this quarter.
Consumer packaged goods
- Sales growth continued to accelerate across all major CPG categories.
- Kijiji, a free Canadian local classifieds site has retained its position as the top online search in the Shopping category by Canadians in Q1 2015. Ranking second and third on the list were Netflix, the American provider of on-demand Internet streaming media and Walmart, the American multinational retail corporation that operates a chain of discount department stores.
Read the full Consumer Business economic update report to gain more interesting insights. For more information, please contact our team.
National Consumer Business Leader
Financial Advisory, Consumer Business Practice Leader
National THL Sector Leader
National Consumer Products and Food Sector Leader
National Retail Leader
Financial Advisory, Food and Beverage Leader