Consumer Business Economic Update
Volume 8: January 2015
Key indicators combine with analyst sentiments, search engine and social media trends to provide a revealing snapshot of Canada’s consumer business sector.
The eighth edition of Deloitte’s Consumer Business economic update for Canada provides a snapshot of key business indicators across the retail, consumer packaged goods (CPG) and travel, hospitality and leisure (THL) sectors.
The newsletter also aggregates search-related data for online travel, products and shopping with social media trends and analyst sentiment.
- The Canadian economy experienced slightly slower GDP growth in Q3 2014, although growth remained strong at 2.8%.
- Same store sales growth rates were dramatically higher in Q3 2014 compared to Q3 2013.
Travel, hospitality and leisure trends
- The THL sector saw strong growth across all sub-sectors.
Consumer packaged goods
- The CPG sector experienced increased growth rates across all major categories.
- Classified ads website Kijiji and on-demand internet streaming media provider Netflix were the top shopping searches with the keywords "kijiji" and “netflix" topping the list. Canadian Tire, which held the second spot in Q2 2014, now ranks fourth.
Read the full Consumer Business economic report to gain more interesting insights. For more information, please contact our team.