Consumer Business Economic Update
Key indicators combine with analyst sentiments, search engine and social media trends to provide a revealing snapshot of Canada’s consumer business sector.
The fourteenth edition of Deloitte’s Consumer Business economic update for Canada provides a snapshot of key business indicators across the retail, consumer packaged goods (CPG) and travel, hospitality and leisure (THL) sectors.
The newsletter also aggregates search-related data for online travel, products and shopping with social media trends and analyst sentiment.
- The Canadian economy experienced a 2.4% real GDP growth rate in Q1 2016.
- Same store sales year-over-year growth decreased by 56 bps from Q1 2015 to Q1 2016.
Travel, hospitality and leisure trends
- The majority of key indicators in travel and leisure continue to be positive for this quarter.
Consumer packaged goods
- Overall CPG sales experienced a greater year-over-year growth in Q1 2016 compared to the year-over-year growth in Q4 2015.
- Kijiji, a free Canadian local classifieds site has continued to retain its position (as in the last four quarters) as the top online search in the Shopping category by Canadians in Q1 2016. The second and third positions on the list in Q1 2016 were “netflix”, the American provider of on-demand Internet streaming media and “walmart”, the American multinational retail corporation which operates a chain of discount department stores.
Read the full report to gain more interesting insights. For more information, please contact our team.
National Consumer & Industrial Products Leader
Financial Advisory, Consumer & Industrial Products Practice Leader
National Consumer Products and Food Sector Leader
National THL Sector Leader
National Retail Leader
Financial Advisory, Food and Beverage Leader