Consumer Business Economic Update
Key indicators combine with analyst sentiments, search engine and social media trends to provide a revealing snapshot of Canada’s consumer business sector.
The thirteenth edition of Deloitte’s Consumer Business economic update for Canada provides a snapshot of key business indicators across the retail, consumer packaged goods (CPG) and travel, hospitality and leisure (THL) sectors.
The newsletter also aggregates search-related data for online travel, products and shopping with social media trends and analyst sentiment.
- The Canadian economy experienced a 0.8% real GDP growth rate in Q4 2015.
- Same store sales year-over-year growth increased by 11 bps from Q4 2014 to Q4 2015.
Travel, hospitality and leisure trends
- The majority of key indicators in travel and leisure continue to be positive for this quarter, with hospitality as an exception.
Consumer packaged goods
- CPG sales experienced a lower year-over-year growth in most categories in Q4 2015 compared to the growth experienced in Q3 2015.
- Kijiji, a free Canadian local classifieds site has continued to retain its position (as in the previous three quarters) as the top online search in the Shopping category by Canadians in Q4 2015. The second and third positions on the list in Q4 2015 were “walmart”, the American multinational retail corporation that operates a chain of discount department stores and “netflix”, the American provider of on-demand Internet streaming media.
Read the full report to gain more interesting insights. For more information, please contact our team.
National Consumer & Industrial Products Leader
Financial Advisory, Consumer & Industrial Products Practice Leader
National Consumer Products and Food Sector Leader
National THL Sector Leader
National Retail Leader
Financial Advisory, Food and Beverage Leader