A comparative look at dismissal costs and issues across Europe
Now including new jurisdictions and illustrations
Employment protection legislation can be very different from country to country. Legislation in some jurisdictions has substantially changed, due to many factors. The International Dismissal Survey details dismissal legislation, and provides dismissal cost projections from an employer’s perspective, in 31 countries.
Some of the survey’s key findings include:
- Dismissal costs in surveyed countries differ substantially
- Generally, dismissal costs in Western-Europe are higher than Central-Europe.
- Dismissal costs are highest when an employee is dismissed without reason
- In most countries, the legal grounds for an employer to dismiss employees are restricted and subject to strict formalities
- In general, there is little or no difference in the cost of dismissal for individual reasons, compared to dismissal for economic reasons
- Since the last International Dismissal Survey, some countries have substantially changed their dismissal regulations, in response to court decisions, or for simplification and increase of labor flexibility
- In all surveyed countries, seniority within the company is the key factor in determining the level of dismissal cost
"Deloitte Legal" means the legal practices of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited member firm affiliates that provide legal services. For legal and regulatory reasons, not all member firms provide legal services.
About Deloitte Legal
Deloitte member firms have a reputation for helping clients address complex issues. "Deloitte Legal" means the legal practices of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited member firm affiliates that provide legal services. For legal and regulatory reasons, not all member firms provide legal services.
Life at Deloitte
People make Deloitte one of the best places to work. What’s great about the people? That’s an easy answer. They are exceptional. Each person is unique and valued for that, among the best and brightest in the business, and takes pride in his or her achievements and the success of others.