Ethics & Independence
Personal integrity, public trust
At Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries, the responsibility for ethical behavior is taken seriously—by everyone, at every level. We demonstrate this strength of character through our actions.
Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct
Integrity is the first of Deloitte’s four shared values, the ideals that guide us in everything we do. Our emphasis on integrity is important because it reinforces our approach to doing business based on a foundation of ethics and ethical decision-making. It’s both good business and the right thing to do.
In fact, “doing what’s right” has always been a fundamental principle at Deloitte and a core element of our culture. An ethical mindset supports values-based decision-making when serving clients and during the course of our daily lives. We pride ourselves in focusing on doing not only what is good for business, but what is good for our people and the communities in which we live and work.
To support these ideals, we have created the Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct as a practical guide designed to assist the people of Deloitte in carrying out their work within a values-based construct.
The code clearly defines the expectations for everyone at Deloitte. It is the obligation of all Deloitte personnel to know, understand, and comply with the code—both in letter and in spirit. That obligation also includes a duty to act, including reporting any potential violations. Each function-specific subsidiary has its own code, although they are substantially similar to the Deloitte LLP version available here for viewing.
The Integrity Helpline is a confidential, 24-hours-a-day, 365-days-a-year service you can access from any location. It's administered by a third party to help maintain confidentiality and, when requested, anonymity. Anyone can log onto or call the Integrity Helpline to request assistance or report a potential violation. To learn more, please read our Integrity Helpline FAQs.
You should report issues concerning potential violations of the law, regulations, professional standards, policy, or the applicable Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct that you believe are not being handled properly.
Contact the Integrity Helpline
Toll free: +1 866-850-1485
International: +1 503-748-0570
Resources upon joining the Deloitte US Firms
Deloitte Entity Search and Compliance (DESC) System – An internal system that, among other things, contains information regarding entities that are “restricted” for independence purposes. This information will assist you in determining whether or not acquiring or holding certain financial interests would create a potential independence issue.
Tracking & Trading System – An internal tool to help you monitor your compliance with independence requirements related to certain personal investments and financial relationships. You report the names of entities in which you, your spouse or spousal equivalent, and dependents have a financial interest. The system then monitors these entities against the restricted entity list and informs you if there is a potential exception or conflict.
Broker Data Import Program - A recent enhancement to the Tracking and Trading System that allows the professional to receive automatic downloads of their financial holdings from their authorized brokerage accounts. This minimizes much of the administrative nature of maintaining Tracking and Trading and ensures brokerage account transactions are recorded timely and completely.
- Enrollment in BDIP, using only the approved, participating brokers, is mandatory for new client service professionals at the manager level and above and for directly admitted partners and principals.
- For more information about this requirement, candidates should discuss the Broker Data Import Program with their recruiter.
Representation on Independence and Other Matters – A personal declaration or statement regarding the facts and circumstances associated with the various financial or other relationships you, your spouse or spousal equivalent, and certain family members may have that directly impact the ability of the Deloitte US Firms to conduct business.
- Deloitte US Firms – Includes the following: Deloitte & Touche USA LLP, Deloitte & Touche LLP, Deloitte Tax LLP, Deloitte Financial Advisory Services LLP, Deloitte Consulting LLP, and their affiliates
- Independence – Integrity, professional skepticism, intellectual honesty, objectivity, free from conflicts of interest both in fact and appearance
- Restricted entity – Any attest (audit) client and its affiliates including non-client affiliates of the attest client
- Spousal equivalent – Someone who resides continuously in the same residence as you and shares a committed and mutually dependent relationship with you that is similar to a married couple, but you and the cohabitant have either chosen not to marry or cannot legally marry
Life at Deloitte
People make Deloitte one of the best places to work. What’s great about the people? That’s an easy answer. They are exceptional. Each person is unique and valued for that, among the best and brightest in the business, and takes pride in his or her achievements and the success of others.