2012-2013 Private Label sourcing survey
Strategies to differentiate and defend
Retail has entered a period of rapid change—omni-channel forces are reshaping consumer behavior and the competitive landscape, the pace of international expansion continues to grow, and supply markets face more volatility and regulation. In this new environment, retailers are looking to private label sourcing to drive more differentiation on the shelf and to defend market share, margin and brand reputation.
To better understand this dynamic market, Deloitte conducted an in-depth study of retailers’ sourcing practices. With over 260 respondents from apparel, general merchandise and grocery retailers, this report is one of the largest and most comprehensive studies of the market to date.
Our findings provide an analysis of key trends in private label sourcing, including:
- Top market pressures retailers are facing
- Current and emerging strategic responses to market pressures
- The evolution of value chain strategies—the activities played by retailers and their supply chain partners
- Shifts in retailers’ sourcing footprints, including source of supply and vendor selection criteria
- Associated operating model, governance, technology and tax trends