Learn more about our practice
Few industries impact global economic livelihood, societal functioning, and quality of life as significantly as the energy industry. Few industries face as many challenges. A number of daunting factors are again leading many inside and outside the energy industry to embrace alternative energy as a solution—or, perhaps, more accurately—a critical piece of the solution. Alternative energy sources are making inroads in our national energy mix and that progress is likely to continue. It’s not a matter of whether the US renewable energy market will grow—it’s how fast and by how much.
US Alternative Energy practice
To learn more about our capabilities in this growing market segment, download our interactive brochure.
Committed to helping alternative energy clients succeed
- Helps clients address critical challenges and execute initiatives designed to further their strategic objectives, and deliver value for their shareholders.
- Serves clients in all major alternative energy sectors including solar, wind, biofuels/biomass, and geothermal.
- Publishes research and analysis regularly that helps our clients understand the ever-evolving alternative energy marketplace. Our insightful materials provide a framework for both practical and visionary solutions.
- Offers a number of high-quality conferences and seminars addressing major alternative energy issues.
- We also offer Dbriefs, live webcasts from our practice, offering valuable insight into important developments affecting the business.
Alternative Energy sectors
Deloitte provides services across the alternative energy industry:
- Advisory: Deloitte Advisory helps clients manage strategic, financial, operational, technological, and regulatory risk to maximize enterprise value, while our experience in mergers and acquisitions, fraud, litigation, and reorganizations helps clients move forward with confidence.
- Audit: Deloitte provides alternative energy companies with the audits and reviews of financial statements and reporting on internal controls in accordance with applicable professional standards.
- Consulting: Deloitte Consulting’s in-depth global experience serves as an integral resource for a significant proportion of the world’s energy companies, providing broad capabilities and services spanning multiple areas, including human capital, strategy and operations, and technology integration.
- Tax: Deloitte’s Tax practice is a leading tax advisor in the US and internationally, made up of field-experienced industry practitioners, with a deep bench of technical specialists who understand alternative energy financing structures.
Recent industry perspectives
Projecting the path of a rapidly growing technology like solar power more than a few years forward is dicey at best; many unpredictable variables inject a large dose of uncertainty into the equation. Evolving cost structures, new business models, developing technologies, policies, and customer attitudes are just a few pieces of the puzzle that may determine solar power’s future. So it’s not surprising that forecasts for US solar power penetration by 2040 do, indeed, range from almost inconsequential levels to an exponential progression in which solar accounts for nearly all US power generation by 2030.
Renewable power is fast-becoming a mainstream energy source as opposed to an alternative one. Despite continuing headwinds in the form of lackluster US electricity demand growth and competition from domestic natural gas, renewable M&A activity revved up in 2014. US wind and solar M&A activity increased largely due to financing innovations such as YieldCos, rapidly declining costs, and pending tax credit deadlines, as well as increasing investor confidence in wind and solar technologies.
The findings of the Deloitte Resources 2015 Study suggest that a tipping point in energy management has been passed: thoughtful deliberate energy consumption has permeated the business psyche, and companies, by and large, now consider energy management to be an essential aspect of corporate strategy.