Deloitte University Press
2014 Global automotive supplier study
Exploring drivers of shareholder return
It’s easy to say shareholder value is important, but it is something different to understand what strategic and operational levers deliver exceptional shareholder value. Automotive suppliers focused on delivering superior performance need to understand their own strengths and weaknesses, and have an understanding of what leading organizations within the industry or their competitive set have done to achieve superior value creation.
Exploring the drivers of exceptional shareholder return for automotive suppliers
To explore what actions have resulted in superior performance and enterprise value creation, Deloitte analyzed more than a decade of data for more than 200 Tier 1 global automotive suppliers to identify “winning” themes that consistently generated above-average shareholder value.
Our research analyzed 213 Tier-1 global automotive suppliers with automotive revenue of $500M+ based in the North America (43 suppliers), Europe (47 suppliers), Japan (91 suppliers), China and India (18 suppliers) and other parts of the world (14 suppliers).
Segments included electronics (31 suppliers), powertrain (75 suppliers), chassis (61 suppliers), exteriors (49 suppliers) and interiors/HVAC (41 suppliers).
We also conducted a survey of automotive supplier executives, primarily in North America, to understand their perspectives on how they have executed against the themes, and how they are likely to execute in the next five years.
Global automotive study overview
- Who are the Top Performers that created superior total shareholder return?
- Who are the Top Performers within a product segment and regional basis?
- How did the winners perform across financial and operational metrics versus the rest of the suppliers?
- For the Top Performers, what were the winning themes that emerged relative to what they have done to drive SHV?
- How do those winning themes translate into continued superior performance in the future?
- What are the strategic and operational levers used to execute the winning themes and deliver exceptional shareholder value?