Deloitte has identified Whole-of-Government Collaboration Critical Success Factors that apply in nearly any situation
Critical success factors
While collaboration requirements will vary depending on the topic and geography of the requirement, Deloitte has identified Whole-of-Government Collaboration Critical Success Factors that apply in nearly any situation:
- Demonstrate collaborative leadership. Leadership should consistently, clearly, and visibly demonstrate collaborative intent and demand accountability.
- Build and share a clear mission statement. Overcome bureaucratic resistance and competing agendas by establishing a clarifying purpose for collaboration.
- Leverage existing networks. Most organization already has key influencers who command respect and have a disproportionate influence on attitudes and willingness to collaborate. Indentify these people and leverage for community building and mission accomplishment.
- Prioritize unity of effort. Immediately establish roles, responsibilities and business results. Refine over time.
- Establish relevant performance measures and metrics. Link strategy to outcomes and provide continuous feedback to understand what is working and when to make adjustments.
- Create and align incentives. Develop individual and organizational incentives to promote working beyond agency stovepipes.
- Establish accountability. Refine roles, responsibilities, objectives and measures – especially where responsibilities are shared.
- Increase transparency. Make the logic and actions of the effort clear to oversight organizations and external stakeholders.
- Ramp-up information sharing. Leverage knowledge management tools to ensure the consistent flow of information to the people who need it. Breakdown the technical barriers that block interagency collaboration.
- Deploy support personnel with relevant experience. Effective working group coordination is possible when the support staff and facilitators share the same foundation of knowledge as the working group members they are helping.
- Cultivate a whole-of-government identify and sense of community. Emphasize inclusivity, monitor the health of the community, prepare leadership, and acknowledge valid cultural differences that characterize various agencies without those differences preventing coordination.
- Provide objective interagency support. Provide support to the entire community regardless of agency affiliation.
- Minimize administrative burdens. Deploy people, processes and tools to reduce workload on agency stakeholders providing substantive input.
- Identify linkages and reduce redundancy. Capitalize on opportunities for synergy and mitigate organizational overlaps.
- Champion innovation. Apply advanced facilitation techniques to fully explore challenges, scenarios, resources, solutions, and constraints. Don’t journey down a familiar path just because it’s familiar.
For more information, contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Life at Deloitte
People make Deloitte one of the best places to work. What’s great about the people? That’s an easy answer. They are exceptional. Each person is unique and valued for that, among the best and brightest in the business, and takes pride in his or her achievements and the success of others.