Directors' Alert 2014
Greater oversight, deeper insight: Boardroom strategies in an era of disruptive change
The fifth edition of the Global Center for Corporate Governance’s Directors' Alert, an annual publication examining some of the top challenges likely to face companies and their boards of directors in 2014, focuses on governance topics such as innovation, technology, productivity, strategy, leadership, regulation, and diversity. Each article includes questions that board directors may ask to further explore these challenges with their own boards, as well as additional resources, and input from Deloitte subject matter experts across the globe.
The challenge for organizations is to recognize when disruptive change is occurring and to act quickly and decisively when it does.
The report outlines 10 key challenges that boards of directors may face in 2014:
- Innovation: How innovative is your organization about innovating?
- Technology: Is your organization at risk of being a cyber-crime victim?
- Productivity: It's about doing better, not more
- Strategy: Volatility isn't just economic when setting strategy
- Growth strategies: Is your organization aligned for growth?
- Leadership: Developing the leaders of tomorrow
- Regulatory: The pace of change continues
- Integrated reporting: Are you telling your story...the whole story?
- Taxation: Could tax be dangerous to your brand's health?
- Board composition: Balancing diversity and expertise to maximize board effectiveness
The report includes insights from governance specialists from Deloitte member firms (“Deloitte”) around the globe – Asia Pacific, Europe, South Africa, and the Americas. These specialists have applied local and international perspectives on top boardroom priorities within the context of today’s business environment.