Diggers & Dealers Special Edition 2017 has been saved
Diggers & Dealers Special Edition 2017
Welcome to the 2017 Diggers & Dealers special edition of the Deloitte WA Index.
Deloitte at Diggers & Dealers
Deloitte is proud to be a sponsor of Diggers and Dealers 2017. Held every year in Kalgoorlie, regional Western Australia, Diggers and Dealers is a leading annual mining conference which draws delegates from across the mining, exploration and professional services industries and includes presentations by listed mining and exploration companies.
Attending Diggers and Dealers? Please visit us at booth 7, we’d love to chat!
- The value of Western Australian-based listed companies has rebounded during the 2017 financial year closing at AU$152.6 billion, a 13.5% increase on 2016
- It has been a period of rebalance following a welcome turnaround for the Index in 2016 when it grew by 1.8%, and after a tumultuous 11.6% drop the year before. The gains were driven by global steel price increases, thanks in large to both Chinese and US Government infrastructure development commitments benefitting the bulk commodity market
- Strategic consolidations, capability diversification and the continued drive for innovation and technology-led solutions all played a role in advancing the market capitalisation of our highest movers, underpinned by general commodity price recovery
- Coal delivered the strongest result in the 2017 financial year, as government policy and poor weather impacted supply of both coking and thermal coal. Coking coal finished the year 61.1% higher than June 2016 at US$145.00 per tonne, despite volatility in the year and thermal coal finished the year 42.1% higher at US$80.95 per tonne
- Unfortunately, such energy progress did not extend to uranium with prices finishing 25.6% lower than the start of the year at US$20.10/lb. The fall in price follows significant withdrawals from nuclear power generation in America and Europe, despite supply cuts initially increasing the price
- With the general commodity market improving, and the uncertainties of Brexit and the US election behind us, it was no surprise gold and silver retreated during the year
- It was an encouraging year for global indices, with substantial gains achieved across the board. The All Ordinaries gained 8.5%, the S&P 500 rose 15.5%, the FTSE 100 saw an increase of 15% during the period and the Nikkei 225 posted the most notable improvement, increasing by 28.6%.
This year at Diggers & Dealers (7-9 August) we recognise the top three movers in the WA Index top 20, in terms of market capitalisation growth, for the year ended 30 June 2017 – Monadelphous Group, South32, and Fortescue Metals Group.
Congratulations to all six winners on their achievements over the past year.
The digital mine: what does it mean for you? Helping mid-tier and junior miners understand how the digital agenda is moving into the domain of the broader mining industry and how this might transform the core mining processes, the flow of information, and supporting back office processes.
Jobs, automation and the people agenda: delivering the digital revolution in mining: How the digital revolution will impact work, workers and the workplace in a multitude of ways.
R&D Tax Incentive
The R&D Tax Incentive is the Federal Government’s primary mechanism to support innovation, providing significant benefits to both Australian and foreign companies undertaking R&D activities in Australia.
Government Assistance Program
Australian state and Federal governments offer substantial assistance programs to business in a wide range of areas.These programs amount to around $9 billion annually.