Deloitte Western Australia Index 2021 has been saved
Deloitte Western Australia Index 2021
Diggers and Dealers Special Edition
Welcome to the 2021 Diggers & Dealers edition of the Deloitte WA Index. This year the market capitalisation of Western Australia listed entities closed at AU$293.9 billion, increasing a staggering 46% from 12-months prior. This growth highlights a buoyant and swift economic recovery, from the initial shock of the COVID-19 pandemic.
This year marks the 30th anniversary of the Diggers and Dealers Mining Conference. Held annually in Kalgoorlie, Western Australia, Diggers and Dealers is a leading annual mining conference that draws delegates from across the mining, exploration, and professional services industries.
If you’re attending Diggers and Dealers this year, please visit us at booth 7, we’d love to discuss our theme for the 2021 conference – Building Climate Capability for a Resilient Mining Sector.
- The WA Index outperformed the broader ASX All Ordinaries, US S&P 500, FTSE 100 and the Nikkei 225 through the year to 30 June 2021.
- The market capitalisation of WA Index participants has catapulted to record highs in May 2021 and settling at its penultimate best at the end of June 2021.
- Fortescue Metals Group and Wesfarmers added significant value to the WA Index in dollar value terms, making up almost $140 billion (or close to 50%) of the Deloitte WA Index’s total value at 30 June 2021.
- Traditional energy commodities such as LNG, oil and thermal coal have performed well, as the need for energy intensified quickly amid supply constraints following the blocking of the Suez Canal, and import controls on coal into China.
- Iron ore had an exceptional year, up 112% to US$216/t.
- Base metals such as Nickel, Cobalt, Zinc, Lead, Aluminium, and Copper all achieved strong price growth as their use in the clean tech industries intensifies.
- Lithium has returned to growth this year, with Lithium Carbonate up 40% and the excitement around battery metals is renewed.
Top Movers and Shakers
Congratulations to our winners of the Deloitte WA Index High Growth Awards 2021.
We also recognise the three largest movers of the WA Index Top 100 in terms of market capitalisation growth for the year ended 30 June 2021 – Venturex Resources Limited, Vulcan Energy Limited, and Eagle Mountain Mining Limited.
Celebrating 30 years
To mark the 30th anniversary of Diggers & Dealers we have analysed the longevity of WA Index participants and selected the top 5 longest surviving mining organisations based on the official listing date on the Australian Securities Exchange. Congratulations to the companies that have been recognised for their outstanding success and contribution to the WA market over the past 30 years.
- Iluka Resources Limited – listed 30 June 1962
- Alkane Resources Limited – listed 1 May 1969
- Woodside Petroleum Ltd – listed 18 November 1971
- Mount Gibson Iron Limited – listed12 February 1976
- Resolute Mining Limited – listed 11 January 1979
Special Edition Highlights
- Feature article: ‘Lithium and the shift to renewables and electric vehicles’
- Interview with Peter Bradford, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of IGO on clean energy strategy, climate resilience and
the importance of decarbonisation to the industry and our future
- An analysis of the growth of the Deloitte WA Index against the Deloitte
CleanTech Index (DACT) - covering several sub-sectors including solar,
wind, water, energy storage and fuels cells, sustainable minerals, and