Deloitte at Davos 2014
World Economic Forum Annual Meeting
The World Economic Forum Annual Meeting (held in Davos-Klosters, Switzerland, and typically referred to as Davos) presents a yearly opportunity to gauge the world’s perspective on pressing economic and social issues. Global leaders participate in a variety of panel discussions and private events, addressing topics at the forefront of the world agenda.
The Annual Meeting in Davos is an incredible convening center for global stakeholders and an opportunity to share perspectives on the issues facing global business and beyond. In 2014, Deloitte’s delegation convened in Davos from 22-25 January along with business and government leaders from around the globe to address the theme The Reshaping of the World: Consequences for Politics, Business and Society.
In 2014 Deloitte focused on the role of business in driving progress, competitiveness, and innovation. Building on InnovationLive introduced in 2013, DeloitteDavosLive (#DeloitteDavosLive) drove a conversation about how business and government can create positive impact and growth. The Millennial generation is a key voice on this topic, and Deloitte released the results of the 2014 Millennial Survey at Davos.
DTTL Global CEO Barry Salzberg led the Deloitte delegation at Davos, which also included:
- Joe Echevarria, CEO, Deloitte LLP, USA
- Yoriko Goto, Managing Partner, Financial Services Industry, Deloitte Japan
- Martin Plendl, CEO, Deloitte Germany
- David Sproul, CEO, Deloitte UK
Reshaping the World of Work
On Wednesday, 22 January, DTTL Global CEO Barry Salzberg moderated a session on “Reshaping the World of Work,” a panel discussion on what societal, economic, and technological forces are reshaping the employment context.
Dimensions addressed include:
- Demographic shifts in emerging economies
- Re-industrialization in advanced economies
- Implications of structural unemployment
Additional panel participants included:
- Alan Clark, Chief Executive Officer, SABMiller Plc
- Kris Gopalakrishnan, President, Confederation of Indian Industry (CII)
- Arne Sorenson, President and Chief Executive Officer, Marriott International Inc.
- Tarek Sultan Al Essa, Chairman and Managing Director, Agility
Deloitte industry teams from Financial Services, Chemicals and Aviation and Travel are official advisors to the Forum’s Industry Partnerships program, sharing intellectual capital and contributing research to various project initiatives. Deloitte global industry leaders in attendance at Davos participated in high-level discussions and offer thought leaderships pieces on current global issues.
At Davos 2014, Deloitte also participated in several private industry sessions related to Deloitte-sponsored projects, which are:
- Chemicals: "Collaborative Innovation: Future of Biorefineries, Energy Harnessing, Emerging Industry Ecospheres" (Deloitte represented by Duane Dickson)
- Financial Services: "Mainstreaming Sustainable and Impact Investing" (Deloitte represented by Chris Harvey)
- Partnering Against Corruption Initiative (PACI): "Aviation & Travel Deep Dive Review" (Deloitte represented by James "Chip" Cottrell)