Deloitte Australia believes climate change is one of the biggest shared challenges facing humanity. We believe in the science of climate change and the economic and commercial risks inaction poses to our society, economy, communities, and businesses.
As business leaders, policy influencers and individual citizens, we recognise the need for comprehensive action. Doing nothing is not an option, and it is not without cost. There will be tangible long-term benefits by acting now.
Our commitment to change
Taking tangible climate action is an absolute priority for us. We’re acting on this through reducing our carbon footprint, supporting our clients and using our voice.
We are committed to achieving net zero emissions by 2030. We will achieve this primarily by reducing our travel and building-related emissions by enabling virtual and hybrid ways of working and powering our buildings with 100% renewable energy. We will also mobilise our people and alliances to design and support the delivery of major carbon offset projects.
The specific targets underpinning these strategies are being led by our climate advisory experts. They will be aligned with Deloitte Global’s WorldClimate Strategy which has been validated by the Science Based Target Initiative (1.5°C scenario) and is designed to reduce emissions in accordance with the Paris Climate Agreement.
As a professional services firm, we work with our clients through the process to achieve sustainable operations and responsible climate choices.
In working with organisations, we take the following positions:
- We will actively work with new and emerging low emissions intensive industries and businesses to help them establish themselves in crafting a new system of production in Australia
- We will actively advise and work with high emissions intensive businesses to effectively manage their way through this major transition
- We will work with regulators and governments to ensure that best practice regulation and policy is in place to support Australia’s economic growth, jobs, and as a leader in decoupling the economy from emissions
- We will actively work with all sectors to help them understand the physical impacts of climate change and develop adaptation and response pathways, and
- We will actively work with other businesses, communities, and governments to ensure that our economy makes a responsible and equitable transition to a new future.
We will participate in the discussions on government policies and actions on climate change that are in the best interests of a sustainable and prosperous future. Policies aimed at strengthening economic growth can support low-emission pathways; and actions to stimulate investment in low-emission investments can strengthen economic growth and job creation.
As a global firm, we will draw on our vast experience with business, communities, governments and regulators, alongside our research and analytical expertise to contribute a balanced debate on climate change.