Discover the Best Managed Companies program
Are you an Australian private business? See how you can benefit
What you need to know
About the program
What is a Best Managed Company?
Best Managed Companies personifies outstanding Australian businesses and what drives them to be the best.
Our Best Managed Companies program uses a tried and tested framework for determining success. Developed from over 25 years of insights from Deloitte Canada’s program, it focuses on four pillars which a business is benchmarked across:
Companies are evaluated across the following areas:
Best Managed Companies apply a formal methodology for strategy development, ensure the strategy reflects all stakeholders, have the right capabilities/metrics in place and clearly and consistently communicate the strategy to all levels of the organisation.
Culture and Commitment
Best Managed Companies build a strong corporate culture and legacy, actively develop their people and leadership team, provide a holistic compensation system, create an inclusive culture and address continuity issues within the company.
Capabilities and Innovation
Best Managed Companies develop valuable capabilities and resources, are highly execution-oriented, are focused on productivity and innovation, and are thoughtful about hiring the right people to execute their business model and strategy.
Governance and Financials
Best Managed Companies install strong governance structures, use KPIs to manage their progress, maintain a strong balance sheet, and apply the financial discipline required to drive revenue growth, improve operating margin, and increase asset efficiency.
Meet the Judges
Eligibility & Process
Companies who want to apply must meet the following criteria:
- Revenue greater than AUD $100million in the most recent year of business
- Australian-owned private company; OR
- Foreign-owned, Australian-based (global) headquarters; private company where management team resides in Australia; OR
- Australian-owned portfolio company controlled by Australian venture capital and Australian private equity firms (greater than 50%); OR
- Australian-owned public company with fewer than 50% of their shares or units traded
- Been in operation for more than three years with financial documentation
The following companies are ineligible:
- Australian-owned public companies with more than 50% of their shares or units traded;
- Credit unions, banks, mutual or co-operative insurance companies;
- Subsidiaries of a foreign owned parent where GLOBAL HQ or management is NOT located in Australia;
- Charities and not-for-profit;
- Government/public sector agencies.
For questions concerning eligibility, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The application process
To be considered for Best Managed Companies, new applicants must go through a two phase application process.
Step 1: Register for the program (Phase 1)
Register for the program by completing the Phase 1 online application form by Wednesday 31st August 2022. All companies deemed eligible are then invited to complete a further more detailed submission.
Step 2: Complete your submission (Phase 2)
Companies shortlisted for the Phase 2 process will work with coaches from Deloitte Private in a 1 on 1 executive team lab prior to completing their submission.
Step 3: Review of your submission
Submissions are reviewed by coaches and an independent judging panel.
Step 4: Awarding
Winners are announced at the annual symposium and gala event to be held in March 2023.
Shortlisted businesses not only receive opportunities to promote their success to customers, shareholders and employees, but gain a 360 degree view of their business. Through the application process and in partnership with your Coach, you’ll deep dive into the pillars of business best practice to discover where your strengths and opportunities lie. In addition to your dedicated Coach, you’ll also have access to our exclusive alumni community. Our Best Managed Companies program does more than recognise success – it sets a foundation for even more of it.
Benefits for all applicants
- Independent view of business and benchmark framework
- Coaching process including insights on company’s strategy and performance
- Best Managed Lab at no charge for leadership team to dig deep into program pillars, facilitated by Deloitte experts
Benefits for winners
- Increased market visibility and credibility through exclusive use of Best Managed Companies brand, both nationally and globally
- Strengthened ability to attract and retain top talent through use of trusted Best Managed credential
- Rich networking opportunities among a global community with other business leaders and sponsors at exclusive events throughout the year
- National, regional, and social media exposure
- Professional development through year-round learning opportunities
- Exclusive use of the Best Managed Companies designation
- Celebration of the entire company’s efforts at annual winners’ event and invitations to local and global events.
Find out what it takes to be the best from our Coaches, Judges and Winners of Australia’s Best Managed Companies. Download the interactive PDF to learn more.
Read the winners' media release: Deloitte recognises the next wave of Australia’s best privately managed companies.
Stories of Global Excellence
At Deloitte our purpose is to make an impact that matters. We know that private businesses are the backbone of most economies throughout the world. Our Best Managed program, operated globally with our many sponsors, is designed to inspire, celebrate, and build an ecosystem of exceptional private businesses.
Discover stories of global excellence including Australian winners True Alliance and KING based on observations gleaned from thousands of companies that have competed for the Best Managed designation globally or download the full report.
Meet our Winners