3,400 Deloitte people, 570 charity events, one purpose | Deloitte Australia | Impact Day has been added to your bookmarks.
3,400 Deloitte people, 570 charity events, one purpose
Making an impact that matters on Impact Day 2016
21 November, 2016: Almost 3,410 Deloitte Australia staff have turned out across the nation to volunteer their expertise, skills, labor and time for the firm’s biggest ever Impact Day.
Held last Friday (18 November), Impact Day is part of Deloitte Australia’s annual community investment of more than $18 million to help not-for-profit organisations bring positive change in their world. This includes pro bono services, skilled and hands-on volunteering as well as cash donations and support.
More than 570 charity events were undertaken in 14 locations including Australia, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands and Timor-Leste.
Deloitte CEO Cindy Hook said it’s an important day in the firm’s calendar.
“It is a cause I’m passionate about because it is such a meaningful way for Deloitte people to express the firm’s purpose of making an impact that matters. Deloitte executives participate as much as our graduates do and there’s a striong sense of pride and achievement by giving something back to the community.
While many used the opportunity to take to the great outdoors and perform much needed physical tasks for charities—from painting buildings to cleaning up rubbish—others offered their efforts through skilled volunteering and pro bono in fields including innovation, digital, consulting, financial and customer experience workshops. Some chose to make human connections with disadvantaged Australians, perhaps cooking breakfast for people at shelters around the country; or helping out the elderly.
At other events our people helped meet with and learn the experiences of Salvation Army officers, assisted people with disabilities or at shelters for those affected by domestic abuse; some supported children in need, worked at schools or animal shelters or took part in strategy sessions.
Impact Day is also renowned for being a great team-building exercise both within Deloitte teams and across them. Seeing our colleagues in a different and less formal context, while making a positive societal impact, is a wonderful way to build trust and strengthen professional and community bonds.
Projects Deloitte people worked on during Impact Day included:
- Upskilling the Westmead Children’s Medical Research Institute in Sydney to improve operational business and strategic planning, innovation programs, budget and finance and leadership development
- Maintenance and cleaning at women’s domestic violence centre in the Solomon Islands
- Assisting in Adelaide at Indigenous youth scholarship charity Yalari’s fundraising event
- Helping Oxfam develop an income planning strategy in Melbourne
- Packing hampers for Foodbank in Hobart
- Assisting in farming maintained by rehabilitated youth with City Mission in Port Moresby
- Driving patients to treatment on behalf of the Leukaemia Foundation in Perth
- Building job-seeking and interview skills with migrants at AMES in Melbourne
- Helping at the Alice Springs Women’s shelter interacting with children and cooking
- Integrating a financial management program with Cystic Fibrosis Association ACT’s management committee
- Cleaning toys and general maintenance at Darwin Toy Library
- Design thinking workshops in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne and Parramatta to seek a digital solution for engaging High Resolves’ student alumni
- Feeding animals and doing grounds maintenance at Big Ears Animal Sanctuary in Launceston
- Conducting mock job interviews with people with disabilities at Northcott, Western Sydney.