New traffic apps turn great digital ideas into even better reality has been saved
New traffic apps turn great digital ideas into even better reality
23 July 2015: Deloitte has welcomed the release today of seven innovative real-time road traffic apps – the product of the NSW Codeworks Hackathon hosted in late 2014 by Transport for NSW, Roads & Maritime Services (RMS) and Deloitte.
Transport for NSW and RMS opened up real-time traffic and incident data for the first time to independent developers – fostering innovation all aimed at improving the experience for NSW road users.
Deloitte Lead Partner for the NSW Transport Cluster, Jamye Harrison, said: “This is a fantastic outcome in terms of how digital expertise and innovation, and the power of the crowd, can be harnessed to deliver real community benefits.
“In this case, NSW road users now have a choice of apps that provide real-time information about traffic conditions, congestion and incidents.”
Deloitte supported Transport for NSW and RMS to engage the developer community through the NSW Codeworks Hackathon and to enable the technical and commercial incubation process for winning teams.
“The real-time traffic apps released are testament to the ingenuity and hard work of the winning teams, along with the leadership demonstrated by Transport for NSW and RMS in embracing innovation.” Harrison said.
Esan Tabrizi, Deloitte Digital Partner, said: “This has been a great project to be involved with from Deloitte’s perspective, as we have been able to apply our depth in digital, design and data to foster innovation in transport.”
The seven new apps are:
- Snarl – provides up-to-date information about road incidents and congestion across the road network and close to a customer’s travel route or location
- TripGo – using customer home, work and calendar information, developed for people wanting to get from A-to-B in the most efficient way, using road and public transport options
- Auto – for customers who have travel to a number of locations on a regular basis and want to see current travel times to help them plan when to leave
- Plan A – provides up-to-date information on congestion, suggested travel times and optimal departure time alerts
- EasyDrop – an interactive tool for commercial delivery drivers who want to manage their daily schedule and plan for the fastest routes.
- Commute – integrates with your calendar to provide real-time comparisons between driving and public transport, with predictions based on your previous trips
- Commuter NSW – compares real-time driving and public transport options in a single view, allowing you to review how travel times change at different departure times
Jamye Harrison commented: “Government collaborating with independent developers and leveraging real-time data and digital technologies to improve experiences for the community is a great example of the new trends and drivers that are informing the future delivery of government services, as outlined by Deloitte in its Gov2020 framework on the future of government.”
See separate media release by Transport for NSW here.
Deloitte refers to one or more of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, a UK private company limited by guarantee, and its network of member firms, each of which is a legally separate and independent entity. Please see www.deloitte.com/au/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited and its member firms.
Deloitte provides audit, tax, consulting, and financial advisory services to public and private clients spanning multiple industries. With a globally connected network of member firms in more than 150 countries, Deloitte brings world-class capabilities and high-quality service to clients, delivering the insights they need to address their most complex business challenges. Deloitte has in the region of 200,000 professionals, all committed to becoming the standard of excellence.
About Deloitte Australia
In Australia, the member firm is the Australian partnership of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu. As one of Australia’s leading professional services firms, and winner of both the Australian Financial Review/CFO Audit Firm of the Year and Accounting Firm of the Year awards 2013, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu and its affiliates provide audit, tax, consulting, and financial advisory services through approximately 6,000 people across the country. Focused on the creation of value and growth, and known as an employer of choice for innovative human resources programs, we are dedicated to helping our clients and our people excel. For more information, please visit Deloitte’s web site at www.deloitte.com.au.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation.
Member of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited
© 2015 Deloitte Private Pty Ltd