Leading in a brave new world: How the boardroom changed for the better has been saved
Leading in a brave new world: How the boardroom changed for the better
Chair Research Report
In the crucible of crisis, resilient leaders are defined first by who they are and what they do at different times and across multiple priorities.
In the crucible of crisis, resilient leaders are defined first by who they are and what they do at different times and across multiple priorities. The report uncovers the significant and permanent impacts on boards and executive leadership as a result of the crisis. It also provides practical leadership advice and key strategic considerations to current and future boards to ensure they can effectively plan for and lead their organisations through the next crisis.
This report has been structured to reflect the Deloitte Respond, Recover, Thrive model, looking back through the lens of the Respond dimension, moving into Recover, then unlocking a new normal where organisations – and the communities they serve – can Thrive.
Chairs from 46 ASX100 boards were interviewed between September and November 2020. Interviewees came from a diverse range of industries and sectors and consequently experiences varied widely.
The Chairs were each asked five key questions:
- When this crisis hit, what immediate changes did you make?
- To what extent did the crisis impact your organisation’s strategy?
- Through necessity, boards have operated differently during the period.What have you changed and what will you continue to do differently from a governance perspective in the future?
- Are there any grounds for optimism? What are you looking forward to as we enter the post-crisis period in 2021 and beyond and what key learnings from this crisis will you be taking forward?
- What advice would you give to Chairs of the future?
“I share these fantastic insights, suggestions and reflections from Australia’s most prominent Chairs in the hope that their insights can boost leadership capability across all industries, as well as confidence in their stakeholders that the future looks more stable in their safe, resilient hands.”- Tom Imbesi
To view the report from other regions, select below:
Building trust with courageous leadership
Extended enterprise risk management (EERM)
Third-party risk management global survey 2020