Mergers & Acquisitions Tax
We are experienced in providing Australian listed corporate groups, large multi-nationals and private equity investors with a broad spectrum of tax advisory services. We work closely with our wider transactions team to bring the right industry and technical specialists across the globe to every transaction.
Our experience means that we can engage with our clients to evaluate alternative approaches and prepare formal memoranda that illustrate the effects of various structuring alternatives on tax profile, with a strong emphasis on commercial outcomes, practical solutions and go-forward for our clients.
We assist clients in effectively navigating the complex tax issues in cross-border transactions to help manage risk and achieve commercial outcomes including consideration of:
- Appropriate acquisition or disposal vehicle to create a flexible structure with consideration of an exit strategy if required
- Whether a share or asset deal is appropriate
- Deal financing and ongoing operational cash flows
- Future profit repatriation as part of the pre and post transaction structuring process
- The impact of the proposed transaction on future availability of tax losses
- Whether advice is required in relation to available investor rollover for capital gains tax purposes.
We also provide assistance with restructure step plans and implementation of any pre-deal restructure required, including stamp duty.
Our team works with legal and financial advisers to develop and implement a deal strategy that provides practical solutions for ongoing operations, as well as achieving transaction objectives.
To the extent that tax risks arise as part of pre-transaction structuring, we can work with legal advisors to incorporate appropriate indemnities and warranties in transaction documentation.