IBM License Metric Tool (ILMT) Readiness has been saved
IBM License Metric Tool (ILMT) Readiness
Your savings depend on it
Is your organisation running IBM software on virtual servers? Are you tracking the usage of your IBM PVU licences with the right solution? Deploying IBM License Metric Tool (ILMT) is an IBM requirement to obtain sub-capacity pricing—without it, you might be paying for excess capacity.
ILMT is a no-charge software tool designed to report on processor value unit (PVU) license consumption for IBM software running in virtualised environments. With proper configuration, ILMT helps organisations achieve the following:
• Maintain compliance with IBM sub-capacity and PVU licensing terms
• Track IBM PVU-based software inventory
• Support distributed server virtualisation.
In addition to enabling lower software licensing costs, ILMT can result in a significant improvement to your organisation’s overall Software Asset Management strategy as well as a tangible business benefit by maximising your investment on IBM software licences.
Installing ILMT is only half the effort. IBM requires your organisation to generate reports quarterly, which means that significant configuration and validation processes have to be implemented in order to align the reports to the true configuration of the environment. As part of the configuration process, there are several key challenges to consider:
• Deploying agents on each and every relevant server in the environment
• Excluding software that’s been purchased as part of a bundle or under a non-PVU licensing metric
• Analysing PVU calculations in complex virtualised environments
• Accounting for software that does not require a license based on its specific license definitions and its usage within the environment.
What is the impact?
One common mistake is to forget to install an agent on a virtual server hosting an IBM program. It is not uncommon to have a virtual server hosted on a physical machine equating to 10 times the CPU consumption of the virtual server. IBM will charge for the full-capacity of the physical machine for any virtual server not properly managed by ILMT.
One small mistake can lead to significant unexpected spending.
The Deloitte ILMT readiness approach
Deloitte’s ILMT readiness services help organisations realise sub-capacity licensing benefits and maximise ILMT value through five key areas:
- Installation, Configuration and Migration – Install, configure the ILMT server and its agents in the environment
- Data Capture and Reporting – Analyse and classify identified hardware and software information to improve reporting accuracy and completeness
- Product Status Validation – Identify idle or misconfigured software that can be adjusted to potentially reduce licensing requirements
- Baseline Reconciliation – Reconcile IBM software deployed to IBM licence entitlements to identify potential licence exposure or shelfware where the organisation could redeploy licences to reduce software cost
- Sustainable ILMT Management – Assist organisations in development and implementation processes and procedures to maintain the tool and employ strategies to improve licence consumption as the IT environment evolves over time.
The Deloitte difference
We have deep experience in advising organisations on ILMT readiness in a variety of industries across the globe. Deloitte’s strong and successful track record is based on:
- Technical skills and experience working directly with ILMT and its bundle of features
- In-depth knowledge of IBM software licensing terms and conditions and how these terms relate to sub-capacity pricing
- Global IBM system integrator
- Services that span the major industries, allowing us to bring the latest insights from enterprises with similar IT environments and software management.