Level 7 - 9
Brookfield Place, Tower 2
Jacques Van Rhyn is the Queensland tax leader with a focus on international tax and transfer-pricing, based in Brisbane Australia. Jacques has been in professional practice for 27 years, including 17 years in international tax and transfer-pricing practices in "Big Four" firms, and ten years practising as a commercial attorney.
Jacques has extensive experience advising multinational companies on various cross-border tax and transfer-pricing issues, especially in the Energy and Resource sector with a specific focus on Mining, Oil and Gas and related services companies, automotive, manufacturing and distribution.
Jacques has managed several multijurisdictional cross-border projects for multinational groups, from both a compliance (e.g., documentation reports and CbCR) and planning (for example, business model optimisation, structuring and the establishment of group transfer-pricing policies) perspective.
Jacques is able to provide a seamless service offering across multiple countries given his strong global networks, knowledge of both the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development guidelines and in-country transfer-pricing rules, and awareness of revenue authorities' appetite for the enforcement of these rules in several jurisdictions.
Jacques has been listed in Euromoney’s Expert Guide to the World’s Leading Transfer Pricing Advisers in South Africa and Australia as well as the World’s Leading Controversy Lawyers. He has published various articles on international tax and transfer pricing, mining and oil and gas and contributed to various IP publications.
Jacques has led a number of significant transfer-pricing cases, audits, and negotiated favourable unilateral and bilateral advance pricing agreements in several jurisdictions. To ensure timely and efficient resolution of disputes for clients, Jacques develops and implements strategies of engagement with revenue authorities to help obtain favourable settlement outcomes in a collaborative manner.
Jacques' other experience includes:
- Assisting with M&A and business reorganisations, international structuring, the development of transfer-pricing strategies, and obtaining rulings for clients in relation to complex technical areas including Intangibles planning, establishment and defence of distribution structures, marketing and procurement hubs
- Pricing of LNG, tolling, establishment and pricing of marketing and procurement hubs, project finance and debt pricing
- Analysis of entire value chain and pricing of gas at various phase points
- Advising on shipping structures, pricing and contractual terms and conditions
- Resource Rent Taxes
- Attribution of profits to PE’s
- EPC and EPCM service providers to the E&R industry
- Automotive and manufacturing sector audits