When a crisis strikes, the greatest damage to an organization is often the result of poor management of the crisis rather than the crisis itself. The Deloitte Center for Crisis Management leverages the full breadth of Deloitte’s capabilities to help clients successfully prepare for, respond to, and recover from natural and manmade disasters.
Five lessons about crisis management for C-Suite executives
- Don’t wait until a crisis hits to get ready. Monitoring, preparation, and rehearsal are the most effective ways to get ready for a crisis event. Organizations that can plan and rehearse potential crisis scenarios should be better positioned to respond effectively when a crisis actually hits.
- Every decision during a major crisis can affect stakeholder value. Reputational risks destroy value more quickly than operational risks.
- Response times should be in minutes, not hours or days. Teams on the ground need to take control, lead with flexibility, make decisions with less-than-perfect information, communicate well internally and externally, and inspire confidence. This often requires outside-the-box thinking and innovation.
- You can emerge stronger. Almost every crisis creates opportunities for companies to rebound. Those opportunities will surface only if you’re looking for them.
- When a crisis seems like it’s over, it’s not. The work goes on long after you breathe a sigh of relief. The way you capture and manage data, log decisions, manage finances, handle insurance claims, and meet legal requirements on the road back to normal can determine how strong you recover.
Crisis management in action: readiness, response, recovery - and a stronger future
Deloitte’s comprehensive service offerings help your organisation navigate the lifecycle of a crisis: readiness, response, and recovery.
Simulations are an effective way to know if your “model” will work when crisis strikes. During a crisis simulation, Deloitte stress-tests crisis response plans in a simulated environment to evaluate crisis preparedness. An immersive experience helps identify potential gaps in an organisation’s overall crisis readiness.
Rapid-action teams with demonstrated experience with the relevant sectors and event types are deployed, all operating under a Crisis Management Office. This structured approach drawing on a global network of specialists provides Deloitte clients with tailored support within 24 hours of any event.
A 24/7 monitoring capability is necessary to track all the relevant sources of data for potential business disruptions and to follow post-crisis developments. Deloitte’s proprietary solution allows companies to constantly track and monitor sources of internal and external data to provide real-time situational awareness and identify leading indicators for potential crises.
Communication during the time of crisis is critically important to not only manage the inflow and outflow of pertinent details to all stakeholders but to also control your message and to protect your organisation’s reputation. Deloitte works with clients to help them navigate critical messages across social and traditional media channels to inform stakeholders while pre-empting reputational threats.
Crisis Simulation: Putting readiness to the test
Many organisations devote substantial time and resources to risk management. But there’s a place where the predictable gives way to the unpredictable—and a risk, or combination of risks, turn into a crisis.
Through the Center for Crisis Management, Deloitte member firms help organisations identify potential crises and prepare leadership, through advanced immersive training techniques, to manage a crisis.
Find out how Crisis Simulation can bring insight into your organisation’s readiness.