4K kicks off
TMT Media Predictions 2013
Deloitte predicts that in 2013 the television industry will commence the roll-out of the next generation of high definition (HD) TV, known as 4K, which will offer four times higher resolution than the current highest standard HD.
A note from the authors
2013 should see several significant landmarks in preparations:
• about 20 4K TV set models from more than ten vendors should be available by year-end2
• the first consumers should take delivery of 4K TV sets
• a range of 4K content will become available, initially blockbuster movies
• a growing range of professional and semi-professional 4K cameras should become available
• new supporting standards should be agreed, including a new high definition multimedia interface (HDMI) standard to service 4K data rates
• multiple test broadcasts are likely, with commercial services expected 2014/2015
The upgrade to 4K entails significant capital expenditure for broadcasters, producers, television manufacturers, infrastructure owners, and consumers. It is not a move to be taken lightly.
Read the Predictions to explore more.
This prediction discusses the next generation of high definition (HD) TVs, known as 4k, and what factors are most likely to fuel growth. Listen as the TMT Predictions 2013 co-authors discuss 4k and what Deloitte predicts for 2013.
Duncan Stewart, Director of TMT Research, Deloitte Canada, and co-author of TMT Predictions.
Paul Lee, Head of Global TMT Research, co-author of TMT Predictions.
Stephen Heasley, Global Online Communications, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited