Our five distinct categories
Deloitte Canada is proud to launch the 2022 Technology Fast 50TM program. The awards are presented in five distinct categories that characterize and define the unique strengths of Canadian innovation.
Click on the categories to read more.
Technology Fast 50
North American Technology Fast 500
Technology Fast 50
This category is a ranking of Canada’s 50 fastest-growing technology, media, and telecommunications companies by revenue-growth percentage over their last four years of operation.
This leadership category recognizes 15 enterprise-level fastest-growing technology, media, and telecommunications companies by revenue-growth percentage over their last four years of operation.
The Companies-to-watch category is a ranking of Canadian technology companies with the potential to be future Technology Fast 50™ candidates by their revenue growth percentage over their last three years of operation. The winners of this year’s companies to watch category must have a minimum of $50 thousand in 2019.
North American Technology Fast 500
This ranks the 500 technology companies in the United States and Canada that post the highest revenue-growth percentage over their last four years of operation. Revenue is measured in USD and not CAD.
This category is a ranking of Canada’s top clean innovators providing processes, goods or services that reduces environmental impacts. The companies will be ranked by their revenue-growth percentage over their last four years of operation.
Clean technology is defined as any process, good or service that reduces environmental impacts through:
- Environmental protection activities that prevent, reduce or eliminate pollution or any other degradation of the environment;
- Resource management activities that result in more efficient use of natural resources, thus safeguarding against their depletion; or
- The use of goods that have been adapted to be significantly less energy or resource intensive than the industry standard.
Applicants to the Fast 50 program must be headquartered in Canada, invest a minimum of five percent of gross revenue in R&D and own proprietary technology which must be sold to customers in products or services that contribute to a majority of the company’s operating revenues.
*Please note: Companies can only apply to one category. Deloitte reserves the right to change a company’s category based on the information provided in the application.
Full list of criteria and revenue requirements for each categories
Technology Fast 50 and North American Technology Fast 500 applicants must be:
- In business for at least four years (on or prior to December 31, 2018)
- Headquartered in Canada or Canadian-controlled, with both management and research and development (R&D) teams also located in Canada
- Investing a minimum of five percent of gross revenues in R&D in 2021
- Generating a significant proportion of operating revenue via proprietary technology and/or intellectual property (see the FAQ section for the definition)
- Able to prove minimum revenues of $50,000 in 2018 and $5 million in 2021.
- Participating in one of the following sub-sectors
Biotechnology/pharmaceutical, Energy tech, Clean Technology, Communications/networking, Digital content/media/entertainment, Electronic devices/hardware, Medical devices, Semiconductor, On-premise Software & SaaS
Software sub-sectors include : Artificial Intelligence, Cloud services, Consumer software, Data analytics, Digital platforms, Enterprise software, Enterprise infrastructure & productivity, Fintech, Health Technology, Internet of Things, Mobile, SaaS, Security, Social Networking
- Own proprietary intellectual property or proprietary technology, which must be sold to customers in products or services that contribute to a majority of the company’s operating revenues. A majority, greater than 50%, of the company’s operating revenues must be derived from product or services sales that incorporate the company’s proprietary technology, exclusive of related service revenue.
- Using other companies’ proprietary technology or intellectual property in a unique way does not satisfy this requirement.
- Consulting companies, professional service firms, resellers, and others are not eligible.
Enterprise Fast 15
- Eligibility in the Enterprise Fast 15 category requires applicants to meet the same criteria as for Technology Fast 50 nominees except they must have a minimum revenue of $10 million in 2018 and a minimum revenue of $50 million in 2021.
- Eligibility in the Companies-to-watch category requires applicants to meet the same criteria as for Technology Fast 50 nominees except they must show a minimum revenue of $50 thousand in 2019. .
- Eligibility criteria for companies applying to the Clean Technology category will be the same as Fast 50; the majority of the company’s revenues MUST come from products or services that have a positive environmental impact in the following areas:
- 1. Carbon emissions reduction potential
- 2. Resources circulation (reduce, reuse and recycle)
- 3. Environmental preservation and safety
- Eligibility in the Fast 500 category requires applicants to meet the same criteria as for Technology Fast 50 nominees except that the revenue is measured in USD and not CAD. Revenues to qualify for Fast 500 must be US$50,000 in 2018 and US$5 million in 2021.
The future won’t wait—neither should you. If you have what it takes to claim a leading spot among Canadian technology innovators, apply today for the Technology Fast 50TM program.
Technology Fast 50™ program winners
Launched 25 years ago, the Technology Fast 50™ program celebrates the world-class achievements and the tremendous evolution of the Canadian technology sector.Download 2021 winners list
Thank you to our sponsors
Frequently Asked Questions
25 years of celebrating Canada's fastest-growing technology companies
About Technology Fast 50TM Program Privacy
The Canadian Technology Fast 50TM program recognizes the importance of protecting candidates' personal and confidential business information and takes steps to protect it. Read more about how we keep your information safe.Read more