The future of health
How innovation will blur traditional health care boundaries
The life sciences and health care industry is on the brink of large-scale disruption. In a future of health that is defined by radically interoperable data, open yet secure platforms, and consumer-driven care, what role will you play?
- Watch the video
- Learn about health in 2040
- 10 new archetypes in 2040
- Related insights
- Contact our leaders
How will greater data connectivity and interoperability shape the future of health?
Fundamental shifts in innovation tend to occur in seven-year cycles. And while it’s possible to foresee what could happen over the next one or two cycles, looking ahead to 2040 (three cycles from now) will likely reveal a completely different reality than what we can comprehend today. What will emerge in the next 21 years that will dramatically reshape the life sciences and health care industry?
2040: Our vision for the future of health
By 2040, health care as we know it today will no longer exist. There will be a fundamental shift from “health care” to “health.” And while disease will never be completely eliminated, through science, data, and technology, we will be able to identify it earlier, intervene proactively, and better understand its progression to help consumers more effectively and actively sustain their well-being. The future will be focused on wellness and managed by companies that assume new roles to drive value in the transformed health ecosystem.
Driven by greater data connectivity; interoperable and open, secure platforms; and increasing consumer engagement, 10 archetypes are likely to emerge and will replace and redefine today’s traditional life sciences and health care roles to power the future of health. The 10 archetypes will fall into three distinct, but interconnected, categories:
- Data and platforms: These archetypes will be the foundational infrastructure that form the backbone of tomorrow’s health ecosystem. They will generate the insights for decision making. Everything else will build off of the data and platforms that underpin consumer-driven health.
- Well-being and care delivery: These archetypes will be the most health-focused of the three groupings, made up of care facilities and health communities—both virtual and physical, and will provide consumer-centric delivery of products, care, wellness and well-being.
- Care enablement: These archetypes will be connectors, financers, and regulators that help make the industry’s “engine” run.
All three components need to be fully functioning and integrated for the future of health to come to life.
Whether it is just one or several of these archetypes, life sciences and health care organisations need to make choices now to decide which role(s) they want to play in the future. Critical to this decision is understanding how multiple archetypes could fit together into a cohesive strategy and new business models required for success in the future.
What role will you play in the future of health?
The 10 archetypes defining the health ecosystem of the future
Learn more about the future of health