2019 global corporate treasury survey
Trends in digital treasury solutions and technology
Deloitte is pleased to release its biennial global corporate treasury survey. This report reveals how the adoption of new digital treasury solutions and technology is still in early stages across the industry. Explore the key findings on treasury goals and mandates, technology, regulations, and more.
Adoption of digital treasury technology is still at an early stage
In preparing this year’s survey, our team considered the following:
- What challenges and mandates are treasurers facing?
- What’s the current use of treasury management systems (TMS)?
- What new technologies are available to treasurers?
- To what extent have treasurers utilized opportunities and solutions that new technologies offer?
While liquidity and financial risk management remain the top two chief financial officer (CFO) mandates for treasurers, acting as a strategic partner and advisor to the business is becoming more critical than ever. Treasury is demonstrating its value as a core leadership function by supporting mergers and acquisitions, as well as organic growth activities.
Further evidence of the shift away from the traditional operational model is the requirement to become a profit center. Though this shift is still deemed as not important to more than half of respondents, it has almost doubled from 15 percent in 2017.
The global corporate treasury survey reveals that many treasurers are comfortable deploying TMS technology across companies ranging drastically in scale. But this is still not yet the case for the newest available technologies, such as robotic process automation (RPA), artificial intelligence (AI), visualization, big data, and blockchain. This is in contrast to the wider finance function in many companies, where the adoption of these new treasury solutions and technologies is happening at an ever-increasing pace.
From a Deloitte perspective, we believe that the treasury profession is only at the early stage of this evolution, which could disrupt the way we consider companies using technology in the future. These new technologies are starting to become available within finance organizations. It’s therefore helpful to understand existing areas where these technologies are being implemented.
Practical use cases of new technologies are available in all regions. However, a lack of insight into specific treasury solutions combined with unknown costs is cited as the most common challenges for applying these in the treasury function.
Key insights from the 2019 global corporate treasury survey
- Liquidity risk management and being a steward for financial risk management remain as the most important CFO mandates.
- Inadequate treasury systems infrastructure grew from 30 percent to 47 percent over the past two years.
- Visibility of data is now the most challenging area for treasury, up from the second highest challenge in 2017.
- The pace of technology adoption by respondents is directly linked to the awareness and perceived need of implementation of new technologies in order to stay ahead in their industry.
- The extent to which technology can be used to achieve scalability, reduce cost, and gain a competitive advantage is not yet fully appreciated.
- Brexit concerns and the adoption of various international financial reporting standards requirements are cited as the main regulatory challenges facing treasurers.
About the survey
Dive in to the demographics of the 2019 global corporate treasury survey:
- More than 208 companies participated in the 2019 survey.
- The majority of respondents are from the Consumer & Industrial Products industry.
- Around 70 percent of the companies in this survey have between 1 and 15 full-time equivalents in their treasury function.
- More than 30 percent of participants have a revenue above 10bn USD equivalent.
- The information obtained during the survey was taken "as is" and was not validated or confirmed by Deloitte.
Previous global corporate treasury survey reports
2017 global corporate treasury survey
More than 200 companies from around the globe, across all industries, and revenue groups, participated in this biennial survey. Download the 2017 survey results to explore key insights.
2015 global corporate treasury survey
Deloitte Global Treasury Advisory received survey responses from the treasury groups of more than 100 top corporations. Download the 2015 survey results for a closer look at key challenges and top trends.