Challenges of Additive Manufacturing
Why companies don’t use Additive Manufacturing in serial production
Additive Manufacturing (AM) opens up new opportunities for design and manufacturing across different industries. Despite its potential, many organizations have not yet rolled out AM on a wider scale. The challenges of Additive Manufacturing they are facing are multi-faceted – but manageable.
AM has an important role to play in the range of manufacturing methods which companies can deploy to evolve their products in response to market demands. Compared to conventional methods, more complex structures and geometries can achieve customized design, greater efficiencies, higher performance and better environmental sustainability.
As a result, the technology is seeing increased adoption beyond prototyping and tooling into end and spare part production. As the technology continues to improve, AM changes from a disruptive technology used only by innovators to a common method for core production.
Challenges to scaling Additive Manufacturing
However, widespread, scaled adoption for such products as end-use parts will require overcoming a variety of challenges faced today. This publication takes a closer look on the reasons why the full potential of Additive Manufacturing has not yet been realized.
These challenges include:
- Technological challenges in terms of materials, process implementation, post-processing and quality assurance
- A lack of IT standards and a digital thread through each stage of the design and manufacturing process
- The shortage of well-trained and skilled technicians familiar with the technology and capable of applying 3D printing
- The rigid adherence of designers and engineers to established design principles with constraints
- A limited consideration of factors and impacts for business case calculation
The transformative approach
Overcoming the outlined challenges will be key to taking full advantage of the potential offered by Additive Manufacturing.
This publication proposes a four-step approach to tackling them:
- Evaluate whether an Additive Manufacturing solution fits in your organization
- Calculate a business case
- Develop a roadmap
- Generate an organizational shift
Companies beginning their AM journey today with these factors in mind have the chance to learn and grow quickly, gaining a competitive edge in the continued expansion around the disruptive power of AM.
Download the publication and learn more about approaching Additive Manufacturing for scaled production.
Neue technologische und strategische Optionen in der Fertigung: Digitale „Enabler“ ermöglichen Effizienz und Wachstum
Wie Industrie 4.0 Produktion, Prozesse und sogar Geschäftsmodelle von Grund auf revolutioniert