EMEA Center of Excellence for Application Modernization and Migration
Accelerate the transformation of your legacy systems
Legacy systems, first established decades ago, still provide business value today, but carry high costs, operational risks and are no longer a good fit for a modern, agile IT. Organizations are often reluctant to replace their legacy systems because updating them is perceived to be costly and potentially disruptive. Our EMEA Center of Excellence for Application Modernization and Migration helps companies understand, transform, and modernize their legacy applications to reduce costs and operational risks, accelerate their digital transformation, and take advantage of modern technologies such as cloud and containerization.
Are your legacy applications holding you back?
- Are the high operating cost and shortage in legacy skills preventing you from investing into new functionality?
- Are you struggling to preserve the investment in your systems and their functionality for the future?
- Do you want to shift to modern technology stacks and unlock the innovation potential of the cloud?
Our EMEA Center of Excellence for Application Modernization and Migration can help you achieve your goals.
The modernization journey is never easy and will be as unique and complex as your business, making an experienced guide critical to success. We can be your guide.
Bring new life to old technology
Legacy systems built around mainframe technology and using outdated languages, such as COBOL, PL/I, Natural, or CA Gen, remain at the core of many organizations. These systems are expensive to run and create major challenges for any digitalization or cloud migration initiative. Updating them can be disruptive.
Our approaches to legacy modernization and cloud migration are powered by class-leading, proprietary toolsets. Deloitte Application Modernization powered by innoWake™ provides a full-automated, low-risk modernization solution and Cloud Migration powered by ATADATA™ fully automates large-scale migrations to the cloud.
Transforming legacy systems into cloud-ready operations
Digital technologies, such as cloud, mobile, and cognitive, are creating new opportunities for businesses today, helping companies save millions, increase agility and quality, and accelerate innovation.
Our experts can migrate legacy systems directly to the cloud by refactoring and modernizing them to take full advantage of the innovation potential of the cloud, which will vastly accelerate your digitalization initiatives. Make the cloud a catalyst for your IT and business transformation.
Make your legacy applications cloud-ready to achieve your modernization goals. Our innovative approach, modernization experts, and proven ability to deliver a low-risk and cost-effective path to accelerate your modernization journey.
Dr. Karsten Ballüder, Partner, CoE for Application Modernization & Migration
Legacy systems have been running businesses for decades and contain significant value in terms of fine-tuned processes and intellectual property. Modernization is a chance to revitalize this value and to prepare for the future:
Address the skills gap and operational risks
- Modernizing applications to a platform based on modern standard technologies allows you to scale the development and maintenance teams with readily available skills.
- Decomposing your applications using state-of-the-art analysis tools allows us to transform your application maintenance to modern Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery practices and lets you take full advantage of DevOps, modern frameworks, and innovative cloud services to accelerate your innovation cycles.
- Moving workloads from the high-cost mainframe platform to scalable on-premise or cloud infrastructures, can drastically lower your IT spend and transforms high fixed costs to low variable costs that scale with demand.
The Benefits of Application Modernization and Migration
Modernization and cloud migration have always been at the top of the CIO’s agenda, but determining the right way forward has been a challenge. Our tried and tested approach is based on best-in-class tools, a proven methodology, and a global delivery model that will transform your exiting IT into the target state you desire, regardless of whether it is cloud-native or data center, and regardless of the technology stack your existing applications are based on.
With our approach, you define the target—be it on-premise or in the cloud—and we take care of the rest.
Legacy application modernization powered by innoWake™
We use our own innoWake™ tools to transform your legacy applications into a modern technology stack using low-risk, fully automated code transformation.
Low risk thanks to 100% identical functionality without down time
Our migration approach preserves the exact functionality of the original application with no side effects from changes to data types or character sets. And while we complete the transformation, your business keeps running, allowing you to continue development without down periods.
Strong business case
Modernization projects have a compelling business case. Transforming your applications secures your investments by modernizing your fine-tuned systems in a way that preserves the functional know-how of your teams. We have achieved cost savings for our clients in the range of 60–90% by transforming their legacy applications to modern technologies. This translates into a project that typically amortizes in less than three years.
Upgrade the technology backbone
We transform to Java or .NET, meet your or industry standards with readily available skills, do not require third party dependencies or ongoing licensing commitments and we provide everything you need to run your complex batch chains on the new platform.
Stay competitive with cloud native
We refactor and modernize your code base to take full advantage of cloud technology, turning your monolithic legacy systems into a cloud-native, services-based architecture.
Scalability, agility and future-proofing
Leaving the legacy platform opens up your applications for horizontal scalability and allows you to take full advantage of cloud. Scale your development team with readily available Java/.NET developers and shift to agile development using the latest DevOps practices and CI/CD tools. By refactoring the transformed application, we deconstruct the monolith and enable a faster and more agile deployment.
We guide you through your modernization journey, from start to finish.
Migrating legacy systems using our unique modernization approach preserves your existing investment and opens up a world of innovation, allowing you to take advantage of cloud technology, analytics, artificial intelligence, and more.
Starting with an assessment and a detailed analysis of your systems, our modernization experts from the EMEA Center of Excellence for Application Modernization and Migration design a roadmap for how modernization can be realized, to ultimately drive your future business.
What’s your roadmap for application modernization?
Legacy modernization, start anywhere
Cloud migration powered by ATADATA™
Your cloud migration has a destination, but it isn’t the cloud. It is a state of continuous reinvention. That’s why you should have migration advisors who understand the dynamics of your business and can help you capitalize on new opportunities across your entire cloud journey.
Built from the ground up on proven, purpose-built solutions, Deloitte’s ATADATA™ is driving the future of the enterprise by enabling simple, cost-effective, scalable, and rapid portability of both data and complete application stacks, finally unlocking the ability to drive the growth of topline revenue opportunities. ATADATA™ is a quick and easy way to discover a source environment and its dependencies, migrate it to a target environment, automate any OS upgrades, and ensure extended syncing of data between the source and the target.
Cloud lifecycle and partnerships
Enabling our clients with full adoption of the cloud lifecycle. We partner with major cloud service providers to offset migration costs and offer a variety of pricing options to satisfy your financial preferences.
Faster discovery and reduced server migration effort
10 times faster than discovering servers manually. As low as one-fifth the average for a standard-sized farm.
Failback servers live with reduced downtime via synchronization, saving costs and manpower.
Direct data transfer with no dataset size limitations, with the ability to select entire workloads, individual drives, or specific folders.
How Deloitte Stands Apart
- Single-source partner: Our subject matter experts bring integrated capabilities to help you define a strategy, maximize potential technical and operational benefits, secure your cyber security, build a workforce of the future, navigate the regulatory and tax implications, and even operate the cloud. We migrate and modernize using our own tools and solutions, making us completely independent of third party providers.
- Support for modern and legacy technologies: We can migrate your entire datacenter, including mainframe, mid-range, and distributed platforms.
- Low-risk transformation: Our 100% automated approach to the transformation of legacy code dramatically lowers risks for our clients and speeds up the migration away from legacy platforms.
- A market-leading Application Modernization practice: With well over 1,000 practitioners focused on Application Modernization, our practice scales for global delivery and has a successful track record of over 20 years without a single failed project. Our continuous focus on innovation and investment into our own toolset keeps our capabilities ahead of the market.
- Services enabled by automation: Our hybrid approach to delivery, enabled by our products innoWake™ and ATAdata™, enhances efficiency and minimizes business disruption. Our advanced data migration and modernization tools provide maximum efficiency and dramatically lower migration risks. They are unique to Deloitte and patent protected.
- Technical scope and scale: We have an outstanding reputation and class-leading resources to modernization and migration. We offer thousands of professionals, global resources for migration and development, the ability to test solutions in our digital and cloud studios, and perennial leadership accolades, which together create client confidence in our ability to make their transformations happen.
- Cyber Risk mitigation: Our cyber experts offer efficient and comprehensive cloud migration support, including prioritizing security, which serves as the foundation for maintaining data integrity, minimizing system errors, and preventing the loss of proprietary information. Our focus pillars include cyber strategy, identity management, data protection, infrastructure, and application security.
Discover more what our costumers and experts are saying
GRAWE Group migrated the heart of its business, the central insurance application, from a mainframe platform to a Java environment. With the help of the team from Deloitte’s Center of Excellence for Application Modernization, the Austrian insurance company cut its costs by over 60%, while also enhancing the quality and flexibility of its operations.
Modernizing an insurance claims application for enterprise-wide compatibility: a large European insurance company had embarked on an enterprise-wide transformation to help to achieve strategic growth. The project refactored millions of lines of COBOL code. Data refactored included 22 million.
Using our Application Modernization solution, we transformed the COBOL-based mainframe application to a Java-based system in an automated fashion and deployed it on AWS, using Elastic Load Balancing and Auto Scaling services to create a highly available, secure, and elastic solution by automatically distributing incoming traffic across multiple Amazon EC2 instances.
So bringen Sie Legacy-Anwendungen in die Cloud
Alte Mainframe-Anwendungen mit ihren monolithischen Architekturen sind oft noch das Rückgrat, über das die meisten Transaktionen abgewickelt werden. In einem Umfeld, das auf agile Entwicklung, Microservices und Cloud-Deployments setzt, stehen sie der Digitalisierung im Weg.
Was zeichnet eine moderne IT-Infrastruktur aus? Flexibel, skalierbar, robust und natürlich sicher soll sie sein – und dabei möglichst wenig Kosten verursachen. Die hergebrachte IT, im Fachjargon gerne als Legacy-IT gebrandmarkt, hat hier eindeutig Nachholbedarf. Das belegt auch die vorliegende Studie.