UAE VAT refund for foreign businesses
The deadline for non-resident businesses to submit requests for Value Added Tax (VAT) refunds in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) is fast approaching.
Applications must be submitted by 1 October 2019 to the UAE Federal Tax Authority (FTA) to recover VAT incurred during the 2018 calendar year. Foreign businesses should assess whether they qualify for a refund and start calculating the amount of UAE VAT they can reclaim.
This scheme is open to businesses which meet the following criteria:
- No place of establishment or fixed establishment in the UAE;
- Not a taxable person in the UAE;
- Not carrying on a business in the UAE; and
- Carrying on a business and registered for VAT (or equivalent) overseas.
Businesses in the following countries are eligible:
- Isle of Man
- Lebanon - in certain circumstances
- Namibia - refunds only available for business goods that are exported and not for services consumed in the UAE.
- New Zealand
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa - refunds only available for expenses relating to goods that are exported from a designated UAE port within 90 days and does not apply to services.