Deloitte / SEB CFO Survey Spring 2018
Full steam ahead
The spring 2018 shows a continuous trend of positive sentiment towards business prospects in Finland. Unlike most Central European counterparts, Nordic CFOs estimate that the positive business cycle will not soon be over. However, there are signals that we are reaching home stretch of the cycle. In central Europe, CFOs are increasingly concerned about the growth’s stability and believe that the uncertainty facing their business will increase during the next 12 months.
Key findings in Finland:
- Finland’s optimism continues to be at top level in Europe after France (67 %) and the Netherlands (83%).
- Organic growth is seen as the most preferable strategy in all the Nordic countries for the next 12 months (in Finland 70%).
- The biggest concern in Finland is the shortage of skilled professionals, which may limit the growth potential of companies. 41% of Finnish CFOs say that they will hire more employees over the next 12 months.
- 84% of Finnish CFOs expect their revenues to increase over the next 12 months (euro area 77%) However, Finland remains badly behind the investment aspirations with respect to the euro area (4% vs. 47%).
Key findings in Europe:
- A net balance of 26% of CFOs feel more optimistic about the financial prospects for their company – 6 percentage point less than in Autumn 2017
- A net balance of 32% of CFOs expect capital expenditure to increase over the next 12 months
- “Skilled labour shortage” is a top three risk among CFOs in 11 of the 20 countries in the Survey
- A net balance of 25% of CFOs expect the number of employees in their company to increase in the next 12 months
- A net balance of 50% of CFOs consider a cyber-attack to be a likely event. However, a net balance of only 3% expects this to have a high-impact on their business
The time for digital is now
In a special edition chapter – The digital frontline – CFOs share their perspectives on digital disruption and some food for thought on the implications for business.
- So, are European CFOs prepared for what’s on the digital horizon?
- 30% of CFOs are playing the strategic lead role when it comes to digital initiatives currently
- Almost 50% of Europe’s CFOs report that their company uses digital capabilities to improve processes extensively
- A net 15% plan to invest more in disruptive technologies (blockchain, cognitive analytics) over the next 12 months
- A net 55% of CFOs plan to increase investments in training employees on digital initiatives over the next 12 months.
CFO Survey was conducted simultaneously in other European countries. The European CFO Survey gathered opinions of over 1,600 CFOs in 20 European countries.