A profile of the Deloitte Global CEO
Renjen is chief executive officer of Deloitte Global. Previously, he served as chairman of the board, Deloitte LLP (U.S.), and prior to that, chairman and CEO of Deloitte Consulting LLP.
Punit is in his 29th year with the Deloitte organization and became CEO of Deloitte Global in June 2015. Deloitte operates in 150 countries, with more than 244,000 professionals. Punit is also a member of the Deloitte Global Board of Directors and Governance Committee.
Punit most recently served as Chairman, Deloitte LLP (US member firm) from 2011-2015. As chairman, Punit led the board in providing governance and oversight on priority matters such as firm strategy, operations, risk mitigation, and talent development.
Outside of Deloitte, Punit is a member of the boards of directors at United Way Worldwide, U.S.-India Business Council, and Japan Society; and is a founding member of the Lincoln Center India Advisory Council. He was named an honoree to the 2012, 2013 and 2014 National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD) “Directorship 100.” Punit often comments on the attributes of exceptional organizations, including the importance of a well-articulated and lived culture of purpose, and the role of business as a steward of public trust.
Punit has held a number of leadership roles within Deloitte, including CEO of Deloitte Consulting LLP in the US. During his tenure as US Consulting CEO, the consulting practice experienced tremendous growth despite an ongoing recession, helping Deloitte Consulting LLP become one of the largest consulting organizations according to leading analysts’ rankings. Along with his partners and directors, he guided Deloitte Consulting LLP to be recognized as one of the “2010 Best Firms to Work For” by Consulting magazine and as one of the top firms in Vault’s Guide to the Top 50 Management and Strategy Consulting Firms.
Throughout Punit’s career, he has helped clients address a range of issues, including M&A, strategy, and operations improvement. His clients have included large multinational organizations spanning the energy, utilities, and telecommunications industries.
Punit was born and raised in India. He moved to the United States after receiving a Rotary Foundation Scholarship to Willamette University, where he earned a master’s degree in management. He now serves on the board of trustees of Willamette University and was named among the 100 most influential business leaders who have graduated from schools accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International. He is married and has a son.
2014: Culture of purpose
For the past three years, Renjen has commissioned the Deloitte Core Beliefs & Culture Survey. The 2014 survey found that focusing on purpose rather than profits builds business confidence and drives investment. This is a critical finding — and underscores the significant impact a “culture of purpose” can play in fostering a thriving community.
An array of key indicators shows an economy of fits and starts. Everything from hiring to business inventories is up one month and down the next. As a result, many businesses continue to sit on excess capital rather than put it to productive use. But not all businesses. Those committed to creating meaningful impact for all stakeholders (including clients, employees, and communities) foster strong cultures of purpose. This sense of purpose inspires confidence among leaders and stakeholders alike — and can lead to a competitive advantage in a time of economic volatility.
Confidence — it fuels business investments, innovation, and long-term growth. However, the current climate of uncertainty has greatly diminished that confidence slowing economic recovery.
In the news
- Millennials have a long employer wish list. Here's how we've begun to check it off. from LinkedIn's Influencer blog series
- What if I can't stay true to my leadership style? from LinkedIn's Influencer blog series
- I will never look at a bicycle the same way again from LinkedIn's Influencer blog series
- My journey through the land of lighted highways from LinkedIn's Influencer blog series
- Making whole some half-truths on Washington’s birthday from LinkedIn's Influencer blog series
- I had to walk away to find my way back from LinkedIn's Influencer blog series
- Getting inside the heads of millennials from LinkedIn's Influencer blog series
- Why won’t you look me in the eye? from LinkedIn's Influencer blog series
- To the moon and back - Lessons learned from a lifetime of great mentors from LinkedIn's Influencer blog series
- Government has made right announcements, now they have to execute in Economic Times
- Renjen expects a lot from India as growth rate picks up in Economic Times
- Newly Named Deloitte Global CEO's Mission: Create A Culture of Purpose in Forbes
- How to Keep "Purpose" From Becoming Just Another Corporate Buzzword from LinkedIn's Influencer blog series
- There is no shortcut to success from the 2015 Kellogg School of Management Brave leader series
- Does Focusing on "Society" Limit Business as a Force of Good? from the Huffington Post