From blueprint to scale
The case for philanthropy in impact investing
There is tremendous excitement today about “impact investing” in inclusive businesses that benefit the poor by engaging them as customers and suppliers. From Blueprint to Scale: The Case for Philanthropy in Impact Investing springs from a point of view shared by Monitor Deloitte and Acumen Fund — that philanthropy is the essential but often overlooked catalyst that unlocks the impact potential of inclusive business and impact investing.
This report has focused on developing an in-depth, demand-side understanding of the needs and challenges facing inclusive businesses, and has concentrated on the following key areas:
- The Reality of Inclusive Business: A close look at the challenges faced by those pioneering inclusive businesses today, and how philanthropy can play an essential role in situations where investor capital cannot.
- The Pioneer Gap: In depth analysis of the “pioneer gap” in investment and the potential for ‘enterprise philanthropy’ to establish new inclusive business models.
- Validating Viability: Discussion of two case studies demonstrating the need for pioneer firms to validate the viability of their business models, and an explanation of how enterprise philanthropy can play a pivotal role.
- Preparing Markets: Discussion of two further case studies to show how enterprise philanthropy can help firms to prepare new markets.
- Closing the Pioneer Gap: Set key recommendations for interested funders and impact investors.
Download the report. This report was published in 2012 by the Monitor Institute (now Monitor Deloitte).