Data governance stands for all the processes, controls, and further activities (planning, implementation, monitoring) over the management of data as an asset. Developing a strategy for this is essential due to the new challenges of modern organizations partially due to regulatory expectations and especially if an organization wants to transition to a data-driven operation (insights driven organization).
Besides the conceptual framework and high-level action points, it also consists of activities that need to be carried out on a daily basis, such as but not limited to:
- Understanding and prioritizing data as a business asset.
- Defining, approving, and communicating the data governance strategy, policies, architectures, procedures, and corresponding metrics.
- Representation of key topics in the organization: data quality, availability of data dictionary, data security, BI, availability of historical data.
- Monitoring and validating regulatory compliance and internal compliance with data management policies, standards, architectures, and procedures.
- Supporting, monitoring, and supervising the implementation of data management projects and services.
- Managing and solving day-to-day challenges related to data in accordance with guidelines and regulations.
Key challenges faced by our customers:
Increasing organization sizes, reorganizations
Reviewing data governance from time to time is essential if a company grows, as their structure and operation will most probably change in different lifecycles.
Modern companies often work with many different data management systems that communicate with each other, therefore consistent data management is a complicated and complex task.
Data as business value
Companies have recognized that in today's world, data is one of the most important business assets. Managing and leveraging it is a key criteria of success.
The global framework and approach developed by Deloitte experts combines best practices and our experience gained by bringing solutions to the problems and challenges of our clients. In order to deliver the right solutions our local experts leveraged the global Deloitte brand’s toolboxes.
We have our own framework
Based on its global knowledge, Deloitte has developed its own data governance framework based on established best practices.
We developed our own approach for the assessment
Deloitte's data governance survey consists of 2 modules: maturity assessment and gap analysis. Both are based on Deloitte's own framework, examining the company's data governance along its dimensions.
- The approach provides the basis for strategic level planning and examines the organization's current operation on high level.
- Helps determining the directions of data governance strategy development.
The assessment performed with a cooperation of various units of the organization, basically by conducting workshops. Stakeholders, departments are invited based on the structure of the organization and characteristics of its operations.
Results include a list of prioritized objectives, prepared by defining idealized states to be achieved, which is suitable for creating or updating your company’s data governance strategy.
- Recommendations on further optimizing daily operations along data governance principles, focusing on more efficient processes, controls according to documented framework.
- Bringing recommendations on missing controls, remodeling and/or filling in missing or ineffective organizational roles.
- Reviews data management on operational level and provides recommendations to increase its effectiveness.
Gap analysis aims to review the data governance practices in order to improve efficiency and effectiveness. Our service is tailored for your organizations needs and challenges based on Deloitte’s global best practice framework.
- Findings on the full spectrum governance framework
- Prioritized list of recommendations on further development and transformation, tailored for the organization
- Supporting tools and technologies related recommendations
- Review of data governance controls, recommendations on further optimization