Our Learning Approach has been saved
Life at Deloitte
Our Learning Approach
Here at Deloitte, we are all driven by the same desire to succeed. It’s what connects us. It’s only by learning every single day that we can hope to be truly successful and make a lasting impact on our business and each other.
Make An Impact That Matters
At Deloitte, we aim to grow leaders for the future, build world-class capabilities for maximum client impact, and consistently deliver an exceptional development experience to our people.
The Deloitte learning approach is strongly influenced by the 70/20/10 model of learning whereby 70% of your learning occurs ‘on the job’ and represents the work challenges, opportunities and successes/failures that are experienced daily. The 20% refers to the engagement you will have with your immediate colleagues, managers, clients and the wider firm, with 10% of learning resulting from formal structured programmes and a range of online learning resources.
In order to be effective, it is important development consists of a combination of activities over time covering professional, leadership, technical and industry capabilities – examples of such activities offered in the firm are outlined below.
Learning at Deloitte focuses on providing a facilitated environment where you will be developed through a coaching culture. Coaching occurs both during structured formal learning environments and also informal settings such as client engagements, on-the-job experiences and through our feedback process.
Each department has a learning pathway defined per grade which has been developed to ensure that learning programmes and development opportunities are of the highest standard.
Structured learning (10%)
We are committed to providing you with opportunities to attend structured learning that supports your personal and professional development. Each pathway outlines the key classroom and e-learning courses to be completed at each level in the firm, from graduate right up to partner.
Learning programmes range from:
- Induction programmes equipping you with all the necessary skills and knowledge to enable you to hit the ground running!
- Technical induction training covering all you need to know about joining your specified department and the tools and resources necessary to perform your job.
- Leadership and professional milestone programmes at each stage of your career to set you up for success and provide you with the necessary skills and opportunity for growth as your on-the-job experience develops.
- Access to a very extensive collection of learning resources, including LinkedIn Learning, Get Abstract, Harvard ManageMentor and a variety of Deloitte specific resources, enabling you to take ownership of your growth.
- Programmes designed to help you develop your key Deloitte skills focusing on presentation, business writing, facilitation and interview skills.
- Key skills to assist you deliver an excellent performance experience to our people, with all of our coaches and team leaders fully trained on the Deloitte approach.
- Regular knowledge shares provide a channel for the transfer of industry or service area knowledge and an opportunity to share learnings.
Read more about exam success at Deloitte.
Making the connection (20%)
A key part of your learning in the firm is the engagement you will have with your immediate colleagues, manager, clients and also the wider firm. In order to assist you in making the connection the firm has a number of initiatives and support systems in place:
- Yammer; an online social networking forum allowing you to connect with your Deloitte colleagues.
- Communities of practice; you will have the opportunity to become involved in local and global communities of practice
- Buddy relationship; you will be assigned a buddy from the same peer group who can assist in the initial integration with the firm.
- Engagement manager and team; you are continually encouraged to consider the impact you make with your engagement manager, the Deloitte team and client teams.
- Performance Experience: You will be assigned a coach who will be a sounding board and provide guidance and advice for your career and development.
- On-going feedback: During regular check-ins with your team leader you will receive real time feedback to grow confidence and accelerate your development.
- Our values; our values underpin the behaviours that impact the results we achieve with our client and our teams.
On the job learning (70%)
Joining as a graduate, your learning will be focused on building skills across a range of areas including, but not limited to, personal effectiveness, client service and communication skills. As you progress, the focus moves to strengthening skills by taking the knowledge and skills gained to date to the next level.
We believe that every challenge, success, opportunity and failure is a chance for you to learn and develop. We encourage our people to take time to reflect after key development experiences: focusing on what they have learned from significant projects before moving on to the next project.
Alongside the milestone programmes offered to you over your first three years with the firm, there are also technical and interpersonal skills training sessions offered on a regular basis.