Life at Deloitte
Life at Deloitte
Awards, workplace initiatives, community, sports and social, benefits
We are committed to growing the world’s best leaders and in doing so continue to be the #1 place to launch and develop your career. Our awards reflect the culture, atmosphere and style that symbolises our firm. More importantly, how our people feel about working at Deloitte. Our success over the years can be attributed to the unparalleled standard of service consistently offered to all our clients by our highly motivated professionals.
Joining Deloitte is your opportunity to become part of the worldwide leader in professional services and consulting, a global network of 263,900 people in 150 locations, and over 3,000 in Ireland.
Over the years Deloitte has won numerous awards for its workplace and for its professional expertise. Some of the most recent awards are outlined below:
- We are proud to add Graduate Employer of the Year 2018 to last years big win of the Most Popular Graduate Recruiter in Ireland as voted by students and Most Popular Graduate Recruiter in Accountancy and Professional Services at the 2017 Gradireland awards.
- Deloitte are in the top 5 of Universum's World Most Attractive Employers List 2018 for graduates.
- In 2017, the firm was ranked by Fortune magazine as one of the ‘100 Best Companies to Work For’.
- Bloomberg Business consistently names Deloitte as the best place to launch a career and, earlier this year, the firm earned a place on LinkedIn’s 2018 Global Top Companies list.
- Deloitte also won first prise for the Best Innovation on Campus award, silver for the Best Graduate Leanring & Development Programme and bronze for the Best Graduate Recruitment Website at the Gradireland Awards 2018.
- Deloitte won The Green Professional Services Award 2018 at the Green Awards ceremony on 20 February 2018.
- Deloitte Ireland won the National Transfer Pricing Firm of the year award in the International Tax Review European Tax Awards 2017
- Deloitte won Best Innovation on Campus for the Deloitte Difference University Challenge at the GradIreland Awards, 2015 & 2016
- Deloitte won AHECS Engagement award for demonstrating an outstanding example of constructive partnership with the careers services across Ireland at the GradIreland Awards, 2015 & 2016
- Deloitte has been nominated by students around the world as one of the World’s Most Attractive Employers; Universum ranking 2015
- Deloitte Tax department named a Tier 1 tax practice in the International Tax Review’s annual Tax Planning Survey, 2015
- Deloitte named a worldwide leader in Business Consulting Services. Source: IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Business Consulting Services, 2015
- Deloitte named Accountancy Firm of the Year at the InBusiness Editor's Choice Awards, 2014
- Gartner ranks Deloitte #1 for Consulting Services worldwide, based on market share, in 2014, for the fifth consecutive year. Source: Gartner, Market Share Analysis: Consulting Services, Worldwide, 2014
- Deloitte was named #1 Graduate Employer in professional services at the GradIreland awards in 2011, 2013 and 2014
- Deloitte named Vanguard IT Consulting Provider by Kennedy. Source: Global IT Consulting Marketplace Report 2011-2014
Deloitte Unplugged is the firm’s newly launched wellbeing initiative. The programme focuses on reminding our people to refuel both physically and mentally and change the mind-set that we have to be ‘plugged in’ all of the time. We are committed to supporting our people to make sure they take time out to unplug. After all unplugging is good for all of us – for our health, our creativity, our energy and our focus. As part of the programme we have a bi-monthly newsletter covering areas such as flexible policies, healthy recipe ideas, mindfulness and articles on health and wellbeing. We also hold information sessions and programmes throughout the year covering fitness, health and diet.
Compressed Working Week
We have a compressed working week for June, July and August, which means a finish time of 2pm on Fridays if target hours have been reached. As the name suggests, we continue to take steps towards improving the working environment and these initiatives are constantly being added to and improved upon.
We understand that recognising our people’s contribution to the business is very important and as a result, we introduced a new recognition scheme in 2010, called Deloitte Dots. This scheme allows management to recognise staff member’s contributions to the business, in a straightforward and timely manner and encourages staff members to connect with the business and collect the rewards. It aims to reward excellence and celebrate success. Deloitte Dots can be collected throughout the year and exchanged for rewards such as IPods, one4all vouchers, experience vouchers or donations to charity.
Respect and Inclusion
At Deloitte we are working hard to ensure that our talent pool is diverse and reflects the make-up of today's society. Our mission is to provide a supportive environment, where every person has the opportunity to turn their unique potential into performance. It's a place where all our people can thrive and flourish as leaders. Inclusion focuses less on what makes people different and more on creating an environment that encourages our people to bring their "whole self" to work, to play to their strengths and be appreciated for all aspects of their diversity. By valuing inclusion we will shape a workplace which thrives on leveraging diversity, driving innovation and collaboration to make an impact that matters for our people and our clients.
Meet Claire Bergin, our CSR champion.
Corporate social responsibility
For any enlightened business, having a clearly defined approach to the impact of climate change, involvement with local communities, responsible business practices and the creation of a quality workplace environment must be a core part of business strategy. At Deloitte we all share a desire to give something back to society. We are active members of Business in the Community Ireland (BITC), whose mission is to harness the power of Irish business to maximise its positive impact on all its stakeholders and society. We are a founding member of The Kanchi Network, which is a business network committed to creating inclusive business through the disability business case. Our volunteering and donation programmes provide opportunities to contribute in the company.
By pursuing your career with us, you have the opportunity to take care of more than just your own future.
IMPACT Day is a Deloitte worldwide initiative where our people volunteer to devote one working day to a project that has a direct and positive impact on society. Projects include painting, decorating, gardening and organising day trips for a variety of charitable and public service organisations. We also support individuals in their volunteering efforts.
Each year, Deloitte matches the funds donated by our people in a firm-wide appeal on behalf of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul at Christmas. The Deloitte Endowment Fund provides seven access scholarships annually at DCU. We also support Junior Achievement Ireland, the Irish Centre for Talented Youth as well as numerous prizes for academic excellence at third level. We are corporate members of the National Concert Hall. We also support business partnering with the arts through the Business2Arts initiative.
The Green Agenda initiative is a key component of our Corporate Social Responsibility programme. Our goal is to promote sustainability and reduce the impact of our operations on the environment. As part of our Green Agenda we are not printing the full graduate brochure, instead we have made it interactive and accessible online. Through our “Think Green” initiatives we are actively engaged in monitoring our impact on the environment and creating awareness amongst our people.
Staff participation is key in ensuring that our sustainability programme is a success, so, all staff members are encouraged to put forward their own ideas for a greener office and to ‘Think Green’. Our modern offices employ the most up-to-date energy and waste management practices. We continue to invest in high end IT, communications and printing technologies with a view to making savings in power, cooling, travel and consumption. In 2011, Deloitte became one of the first professional services firms to obtain the ISO 14001-2004 certification for our Environmental Management System.
In 2011, at the Green Awards, Deloitte was delighted to win the award for Green Professional Services Firm and to be placed in the top 10 for the Overall Green Business Award.
Meet Claire Bergin, our CSR champion.
Sports and social
Last year the Deloitte Golf Society was launched and based on the feedback received it was a great success. We had over 85 members from the firm involved in the society and there was a great mix from all the departments. We played some of the top courses in Ireland like Powerscourt, Carton House and the European Club to name a few. We are delighted to report that there were nearly 50 participants at each event which helped make the society a great success and social event.
The Deloitte Surf Club is designed to cater for all levels, from complete beginners to the more advanced so everyone is welcome.
There will be 3 trips per year (provisionally May, July & November). Transport, accommodation, food and lessons will be subsidised by the Sports and Social Club.
The objective of the surf club is to:
- Help you catch your first wave and/or get back in the ocean
- Enable you to meet up with colleagues and get to know people in other departments
- Get out of the city for a couple of days and enjoy different parts of Ireland
Get fit and be active
The objective of the Deloitte Running Club is to:
- Be healthy, good fun, and enable you to get to know people in other departments;
- Cater for all standards, from beginner to advanced, so whether you’re looking to break 4 or 40 minute miles, there’s a place for you.
This year the Deloitte Running Club participated in the Docklands Run, the Chartered Accountants Race, the Leinster Society Run, St James Hospital Liberties Fun Run and more.
The Deloitte Prague Cup in its tenth year, is the number 1 sporting event in the Deloitte sporting calendar with over 60+ men’s and women’s teams from Deloitte offices around the world taking part.
Not only did the Dublin team achieve an outstanding 3rd place overall but ‘players of the tournament’ accolades went to two members of the Dublin team also!
We continuously strive to ensure a work environment and culture that promotes personal and professional development. We are delighted to be leading the way among the professional services firms in pioneering excellence in human resource practices. The firm is constantly looking at new initiatives designed to enrich the work environment. We believe that investing in people, encouraging them to achieve a work-life balance and providing support for their personal and professional development is the key to having happy, productive and successful people, best equipped to meet client needs.
Fees that cover the cost of relevant professional qualification: examinations, registration, exemptions, ICAI Handbook; enhanced study leave, study strategy and technique learning sessions.
Training and development courses
A range of in-house courses are held regularly for employees. Each department has its own learning and development pathway covering technical and behavioural skills development.
Where an employee is being conferred with a third level educational award, they can avail of one day paid leave where the graduation day falls during a working day.
Deloitte offer a Defined Contribution pension plan.
21 days annual leave rising with service plus 1 additional “Deloitte Day” which is discretionary.
Group discount with VHI, LAYA Healthcare and Aviva Healthcare.
The firm will cover the cost of annual subscription to one approved professional body.
Life assurance cover in the event of death in service
Compressed working week
For the months of June, July and August; a 2pm finish on Fridays applies once target weekly hours are completed.
Deloitte Unplugged programme
Initiatives which focus on employee wellness and wellbeing.
Discounts are available from a variety of organisations.
Tax efficient travel pass
Save up to 51% on travel costs if you take part in our Taxsaver Commuter Ticket scheme.
Cycle to work scheme
Deloitte will facilitate the purchase of a bicycle and/or accessories up to a maximum of €1,000 through the cycle to work scheme. The scheme is tax efficient meaning savings of up to 51% on your purchase.
Employee recognition awards
Managers can nominate employees who go beyond normal responsibilities to receive a special recognition award known as Deloitte Dots.
Employee assistance programme
This is a confidential counselling programme and information service available to all employees and their families.