Rane Carlo Rivera has been saved
Life at Deloitte
Rane Carlo Rivera
Manager, IT & Specialized Assurance
Rane is a Manager in our IT Audit team in Risk Advisory, based in Limerick. He specializes on IT General Controls Audit covering various applications, operating systems and databases as well as business process reviews and application controls.
What does a typical day look like in your role?
A typical day for me includes:
- Looking at the day ahead and organising what needs to be done, preparing for meetings I have to attend, and reviewing the work performed by the team
- Building relationships across the team, the firm, clients, and various people across Ireland
- Having a quick chat with team over a cup of coffee - mainly virtually these days!
- Coaching the team, from simple to complex matters
- Keeping up to date with technology by reading news, articles, etc. as technology changes over time
What attracted you to Deloitte as a career move? What development opportunities have you had since joining?
What attracted me to Deloitte is, firstly, Deloitte trains individuals to the best that they can be, which is made possible by exposing you to different organisations of different sizes. Secondly, they support your career aspirations, and are flexible in aligning your work responsibility to where you want to be in the future. Finally, Deloitte is a multi-national, diverse organisation where you will be accepted and feel comfortable regardless of who you are.
In terms of development opportunities - career-wise, when I first joined Deloitte Ireland, I had no idea about the Irish nor European standards, laws and regulations such as GDPR. As I moved forward with Deloitte, I was exposed to different projects which require me to do research and familiarise myself with these standards. Of course, you don't have to do it all on your own as you have access to different subject matter experts whom you can always consult.
Personally, I've been able to interact with different people who came from different parts of the world with different backgrounds, and through this you get to learn more about their culture.
What advice would you give someone coming for an interview on the team, and what can new joiners expect from their first few days at Deloitte?
For those that are due for an interview, I would recommend that you keep three things in mind:
- Be clear - if you need to talk slower than normal, then do. What's important is you can be well understood.
- Ask questions - you want to know what you're signing-up for and if it fits your expectations
- Prepare - do conduct your own research about Deloitte, office locations, and the different services we provide.
What to expect in the first few days:
- A buddy who will answer all your questions (including personal questions) or find answers for you. It's really handy since I was a 100% stranger in a foreign land when I first arrived.
- Getting to know your team! Maybe some lunch or dinners with them, or virtual coffees depending on restrictions.
- Trainings to keep you up to speed with what we do, and how we do it.
What is it about your role/industry that keeps you interested?
Regardless of roles, there's always learning and development opportunities and this is what keeps me interested. Further, each and every day, you will face different challenges that definitely keeps me interested.