Why a Career in Actuarial, Rewards & Analytics?
Success at Deloitte means many different things: winning awards, losing inhibitions, gaining skills for work, gaining skills for life, making lasting memories and, most importantly, making an impact.
- What is Actuary, Reward & Analytics?
- Learning and Development
- Paths to Qualification
- Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Hear more from our people in Actuary, Reward & Analytics
What is Actuarial, Rewards & Analytics?
Our Actuarial, Rewards and Analytics practice in Ireland has grown in recent years and is now making an impact as one of Ireland’s leading actuarial service providers. Our team of actuarial professionals provide expertise and advice to life and non-life insurance and reinsurance companies operating in both the domestic and international markets. Our senior actuaries have a blend of consulting and industry experience including considerable experience of operating at leadership level with a diverse range of insurance and reinsurance companies.
What sets us apart from our competitors are the close associations we have with our colleagues in Risk Advisory services, Audit & Assurance, Management Consulting, Tax, Corporate Finance and Corporate and Legal Services, which enables us to develop end-to-end solutions for our clients.
As part of one of the world’s largest actuarial practices, we have access to over 800 actuarial professionals worldwide which ensures that we can secure the specialist knowledge and expertise our clients require.
Our services span all phases of an insurer’s development and, at each stage of our clients’ life cycles, we offer a full range of actuarial services including:
- Risk management
- Capital management
- Traditional actuarial services
- Market entry / exit and restructuring
- Operational excellence
- IFRS 17
- Solvency II
We strive to nurture and develop the careers of our staff and have created an environment in which you can succeed. Our people have the opportunity to develop their skills across a wide range of areas, both formally and informally. A large part of development occurs through involvement in a wide variety of client and internal projects, offering the opportunity to develop both technical actuarial skills and broader business skills.
What impact will you make?
The Actuarial, Rewards & Analytics (ARA) department at Deloitte has 20+ people, with a mixture of qualified and trainee actuaries at various stages of the actuarial examinations.
The ARA department is led by our Actuarial Partner, Ciara Regan who has over 20 years’ experience in the insurance industry. The Deloitte actuarial team has expertise across a number of areas including traditional actuarial areas of life, non-life and pensions, as well as the non-traditional areas of analytics and banking.
Learning and Development
Our commitment to the professional development of our people is absolute. Focused on technical, client relationship and technology skills, and reinforced by on-the-job learning, our ‘lifelong’ tailored approach will ensure you continue to progress in your career and become the leader you know you can be.
As well as gaining a recognised professional qualification, as an analyst you’ll discover all kinds of new business and technical skills, as well as everything you need to do your job and accelerate your career. Read more on our Learning Approach.
In the course of your contract with Deloitte you can expect to gain experience in the following areas:
- Modelling of different scenarios including complex models of long term risk and liabilities, asset liability modelling, and credit default modelling.
- Developing analytical tools using a variety of programming languages (VBA, R, SAS, SQL etc.)
- Audit of actuarial liabilities for (re)insurers and pension schemes under a number of reporting bases.
- Development and/or review of controls and procedures for mitigating risks faced by clients.
- Understanding of the requirements of the regulatory and accounting financial frameworks of Solvency II and IFRS 17.
- Market research on topics of interest to the client or Deloitte.
Paths to Qualification
Analysts within the Actuarial, Rewards & Analytics business complete the Institute of Actuaries examinations. Deloitte is committed to supporting our analysts through this course of study by providing on-the-job training to develop the competencies required of an Actuary and through our professional education support programme.
This programme provides generous study leave, internal, and external support mechanisms to those pursuing the Actuary qualification.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
Applications are encouraged from all academic disciplines, including accounting, business, law, science, technology, engineering, maths, amongst others. Other requirements include:
- Achieved or are currently on target for a 2.1 honours degree or higher
- A high level of self-motivation and commitment
- The ability to analyse and work through complex problems
- Flexibility, resilience and intellectual curiosity
- A proactive approach to work
- Ability to collaborate and work well within a team environment
- The ability to learn quickly
- Demonstrated leadership, creative problem solving and strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritise tasks, work on multiple assignments, and manage change
- Some relevant work experience (e.g. internships, summer positions, school jobs)
We offer competitive reward packages and a variety of benefits. The firm also offers a number of wellbeing programmes to reflect the balance of priorities in our people’s lives.
- 21 days annual leave rising with service plus 1 additional “Deloitte Day” (22 days total)
- Option to avail of up to 5 extra holiday days annually
- Compressed working week. 2pm finish on Friday’s during June, July and August
- Bonus scheme
- Discounted health insurance
- Life assurance
- Pension plan
- Paid professional subscription
- Graduation leave
- Advanced learning and development programmes
- Further education support options
- Employee assistance programme
- Tax saver travel pass
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee recognition awards
- Annual Corporate Responsibility Impact Day
- Deloitte Unplugged programme
- Corporate deals and discounts
Read more about life at Deloitte.