Why a Career in Audit & Assurance?
- What is Audit & Assurance?
- What kind of work would I be doing?
- The Importance of Technology to Deloitte Audit
- Learning and Development
- Department Breakdown
- Paths to qualification
- Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Hear more from our people in Audit & Assurance
What is Audit & Assurance?
At Deloitte, success is about offering solutions that make a lasting impact on our clients’ businesses. Finance and accounting solutions are in our DNA – it’s what we do; it’s what we’ve always done. Deloitte illuminates the what, how, and why of change so businesses are always prepared for what’s ahead.
Audit is about much more than just the numbers. Deloitte provide assurance and advisory services that future visions are built on. We help provide relevant insights so our clients can make the best decisions about their business. Whether it’s conducting due diligence reviews and statutory audits or providing accounting advice on technical issues or corporate governance, we provide our clients with the highest quality insights, know-how and processes to ensure their financial information is well ahead of the game.
What kind of work would I be doing?
Your day-to-day activities at Audit & Assurance will see you work with highly experienced audit teams, focusing on financial statement components, reviewing client operations and controls, identifying weaknesses and providing recommendations to remedy any issues found. You will also gain exposure to assurance and advisory engagements and be encouraged to take leadership roles early in your career.
We believe that our team represents the best assurance and advisory talent in Ireland. The future of audit is constantly evolving and innovation is an area of focus across the Audit & Assurance business. We need creative problem solvers who enjoy a fast-paced team environment, are naturally inquisitive and enjoy using technology to solve problems to make a lasting impact.
We strive to nurture and develop the careers of our staff and have created an environment in which you can succeed.
What impact will you make?
The Importance of Technology to Deloitte Audit
Historically, in Audit, we’d examine a client’s accounts once a year to make sure they presented a true and fair view of their financial situation. In today’s fast-moving and ever-more-technology-focused world, there’s a lot more to Audit than that. We are focused on incorporating innovative technologies to deliver valuable insights to clients about their business.
Data analytics, visualization techniques, and artificial intelligence are dramatically changing the way Deloitte is able to approach Audits. We recently won International Accounting Bulletin’s prestigious 'Audit Innovation of the Year' award for our dedication to innovation and the development of leading-edge tools to transform audit service delivery.
Learning and Development
Our commitment to the professional development of our people is absolute. Focused on technical, client relationship and technology skills, and reinforced by on-the-job learning, our ‘lifelong’ tailored approach will ensure you continue to progress in your career and become the leader you know you can be.
As an Audit & Assurance trainee, you will gain significant knowledge and experience working across a host of industries including financial services, consumer business, technology, media and telecommunications.
On joining Deloitte as an Audit & Assurance trainee you will:
- Participate in a structured induction programme to introduce you to the Deloitte culture, values and business principles including Audit & Assurance business
- Participate in the “The Audit & Assurance Experience” where you will embark on your first audit engagement. This programme is a “real life” simulation of an audit.
- Receive continuous coaching and guidance from experienced colleagues during this time. Attend a “Professional Education and Personal Development week”. The programme includes study skills & examination technique sessions, briefings, and practice workshops.
As you progress through your training contract you will be responsible for coaching more junior team members and delegating work assigned by the audit manager.
As well as gaining a recognised professional qualification, you’ll discover all kinds of new business and technical skills, as well as everything you need to do your job and accelerate your career. Read more on our learning approach.
The Audit & Assurance department at Deloitte is split into three specialist groups:
- Financial Services: Banking; Investment Funds; Securitisation; Insurance; Leasing.
- Consumer & Technology Business: Manufacturing, Distribution, Pharmaceuticals, Retail, Media, Technology; Property.
- Small & Medium Enterprise Services: Provide a range of services to small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs).
Paths to qualification
Trainees within the Audit & Assurance practice complete the Chartered Accountants Ireland qualification (ACA). The ACA qualification comprises three sets of professional examinations: CAP1, CAP2, and the Final Admittance Exam (FAE).
Deloitte is committed to supporting our trainees through this course of study by providing on-the-job training to develop the competencies required of a Chartered Accountant and through our Professional Education support programme. This programme provides generous study leave, tutorials, mock examinations and additional internal support mechanisms to all trainees pursuing the ACA qualification.
In the course of your training contract with Deloitte you can expect to gain experience in some or all of the following areas:
- Financial accounting & reporting
- Business finance
- Taxation & tax planning
- Auditing, internal control & corporate governance
- Information systems & management
- Financial services
The many benefits of completing an ACA training contract with Deloitte can be found below:
- All education and exam fees paid
- Study and exam leave
- Exposure to quality, professional accountancy experience
- Mentored by senior Chartered Accountants
- Salary that increases in line with exam progression
- Strong foundation in skills such as audit, tax, or financial services for careers in either practice or business
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
Applications are encouraged from all academic disciplines, including accounting, business, law, science, technology, engineering, maths, amongst others. Other requirements include:
- Achieved or are currently on target for a 2.1 honours degree or higher
- A high level of self-motivation and commitment
- The ability to analyse and work through complex problems
- Flexibility, resilience and intellectual curiosity
- A proactive approach to work
- Ability to collaborate and work well within a team environment
- The ability to learn quickly
- Demonstrated leadership, creative problem solving and strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritise tasks, work on multiple assignments, and manage change
- Some relevant work experience (e.g. internships, summer positions, school jobs)
At Deloitte, we offer competitive reward packages and a variety of benefits. The firm also offers a number of wellbeing programmes to reflect the balance of priorities in our people’s lives.
- 21 days annual leave rising with service plus 1 additional Deloitte Day (22 days total)
- Paid time off in lieu (TOIL)
- Compressed working week. 2pm finish on Friday’s during June, July and August
- Discounted health insurance
- Life assurance
- Pension plan
- Paid professional subscription
- Graduation leave
- Advanced learning and development programmes
- Comprehensive professional education and study leave programme
- Employee assistance programme
- Tax saver travel pass
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee recognition awards
- Annual Corporate Responsibility Impact Day
- Deloitte Unplugged programme
- Corporate deals and discounts
Read more about life at Deloitte.