Why a Career in Audit & Assurance?
- What is Audit & Assurance?
- What kind of work would I be doing?
- The Importance of Technology to Deloitte Audit
- Learning and Development
- Department Breakdown
- Paths to qualification
- Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Hear more from our people in Audit & Assurance
Meet Ryan Basquel from Audit & Assurance
What is Audit & Assurance?
At Deloitte, success is about making an impact that matters for our clients, our people and our communities and Audit & Assurance is at the core of this success. Our relentless drive for quality and talent is what enables our audits and assurance engagements to support thousands of transactions in the capital markets every year. It’s what we do; it’s what we’ve always done. Deloitte illuminates the what, how, and why of our Irish and Global clients so businesses are always prepared for what’s ahead. Our Audit and Assurance business is your gateway to a Chartered Accountants Ireland Qualification; a qualification that is globally recognised and embedded in Irish business.
Audit is about much more than the numbers. We help provide relevant insights so our clients and their stakeholders can make the best decisions about their business. Whether it’s conducting statutory audits, due diligence reviews or providing accounting advice on technical issues or corporate governance, we provide our clients with the highest quality insights, know-how and processes to ensure their confidence and trust.
What kind of work would I be doing?
Your day-to-day activities in Audit & Assurance will see you work with highly experienced audit teams and senior stakeholders in our clients. You will analyse client data using the best analytical tools and techniques, review client operations and controls, understand strategic and financial issues impacting on the company, identify insights and areas for improvement and ensure that users of financial statements can have trust and assurance that they are true and fair. You will gain exposure to a variety of engagements and clients and be encouraged to take leadership roles early in your career.
Our team consists of the best assurance and advisory talent in Ireland. The future of audit is constantly evolving and innovation is at the forefront of our Audit & Assurance business. We need creative problem solvers who enjoy a fast-paced team environment, are naturally inquisitive and enjoy using technology to solve problems to make a lasting impact. We strive to develop the careers of our staff and have created an environment in which you can succeed
What impact will you make?
The Importance of Technology to Deloitte Audit
Historically an audit involved examining a client’s accounts once a year to ensure they presented a true and fair view of their financial situation. In today’s fast-moving and ever-more-technology-focused world, there’s a lot more to Audit than that. We are focused on incorporating innovative technologies to deliver valuable insights to clients about their business year round.
Data analytics, visualization techniques, and artificial intelligence are dramatically changing the way Deloitte is able to approach Audits. We recently won the International Accounting Bulletin’s prestigious 'Audit Innovation of the Year' award for our dedication to innovation and the development of leading-edge tools to transform audit service delivery. We continue to lead the profession in technology and innovation.
Learning and Development
Our commitment to the professional development of our people is absolute. Focused on technical, client relationship and technology skills, and reinforced by on-the-job learning, our ‘lifelong’ tailored approach will ensure you continue to progress in your career and become the leader you know you can be.
As an Audit & Assurance associate you have an opportunity to get to really understand Irish and Global businesses and industries including financial services, consumer business, technology, media and telecommunications. The skills and experience you gain as an associate at Deloitte will guide the rest of your career, wherever it takes you.
On joining Deloitte as an Audit & Assurance associate you will:
- Participate in a structured induction programme to introduce you to the Deloitte culture, values and business principles including Audit & Assurance business
- Participate in the “The Audit & Assurance Experience” where you will embark on your first audit engagement. This programme is a “real life” simulation of an audit.
- Receive continuous coaching and guidance from experienced colleagues during this time. Attend a “Professional Education and Personal Development week”. The programme includes study skills & examination technique sessions, briefings, and practice workshops.
As you progress through your training contract you will be responsible for coaching more junior team members and delegating work assigned by the audit manager.
As well as gaining a globally recognised professional qualification, you’ll discover all kinds of new business and technical skills, as well as everything you need to do your job and accelerate your career.
The Audit & Assurance department at Deloitte is split into two specialist groups:
- Financial Services: Banking; Investment Funds; Securitisation; Insurance; Leasing.
- Consumer & Technology Business: Manufacturing, Distribution, Pharmaceuticals, Retail, Media, Technology; Property.
Paths to qualification
Associates within the Audit & Assurance practice complete the Chartered Accountants Ireland qualification (ACA). The ACA qualification comprises three sets of professional examinations: CAP1, CAP2, and the Final Admittance Exam (FAE).
Deloitte is committed to supporting our associates through this course of study by providing on-the-job training to develop the competencies required of a Chartered Accountant and through our Professional Education support programme. This programme provides generous study leave, tutorials, mock examinations and additional internal support mechanisms to all associates pursuing the ACA qualification.
In the course of your training contract with Deloitte you can expect to gain experience in some or all of the following areas:
- Financial accounting & reporting
- Business finance
- Taxation & tax planning
- Internal control
- Corporate governance
- Information systems & management
- Financial services
The many benefits of completing an ACA training contract with Deloitte can be found below:
- All education and exam fees paid
- Study and exam leave
- Exposure to quality, professional accountancy experience
- Mentored by senior Chartered Accountants
- Salary that increases in line with exam progression
- Strong foundation in skills such as audit, tax, or financial services for careers in either practice or business
Associates who complete the ACA exams are encouraged to complete a recognised Masters in Accounting or Post-Graduate diploma in Accounting, which if successful at interview stage will be offered sponsorship by Deloitte to do so.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
Applications are encouraged from all academic disciplines, including accounting, business, law, science, technology, engineering, maths, amongst others. Other requirements include:
- Achieved or are currently on target for a 2.1 honours degree or higher
- A high level of self-motivation and commitment
- The ability to analyse and work through complex problems
- Flexibility, resilience and intellectual curiosity
- A proactive approach to work
- Ability to collaborate and work well within a team environment
- The ability to learn quickly
- Demonstrated leadership, creative problem solving and strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritise tasks, work on multiple assignments, and manage change
- Some relevant work experience (e.g. internships, summer positions, school jobs)
At Deloitte, we offer competitive reward packages and a variety of benefits. The firm also offers a number of wellbeing programmes to reflect the balance of priorities in our people’s lives.
- 21 days annual leave rising with service plus 1 additional Deloitte Day (22 days total)
- Paid time off in lieu (TOIL)
- Compressed working week. 2pm finish on Friday’s during June, July and August
- Discounted health insurance
- Life assurance
- Pension plan
- Paid professional subscription
- Graduation leave
- Advanced learning and development programmes
- Comprehensive professional education and study leave programme
- Employee assistance programme
- Tax saver travel pass
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee recognition awards
- Annual Corporate Responsibility Impact Day
- Deloitte Unplugged programme
- Corporate deals and discounts
Read more about life at Deloitte.
Meet our people
Ryan Basquel - Graduate, Audit & Assurance
Amy Potts - Graduate, Audit & Assurance
Declan Moore - Graduate, Audit & Assurance
Oisin Farrell - Graduate, Audit & Assurance
Sonia Nairn - Graduate, Audit & Assurance
Ronan Fogarty - Graduate, Audit & Assurance
Jack O'Grady - Intern, Audit & Assurance
Shane Fenton - Intern, Audit & Assurance
Fionnán Johnson - Graduate, Audit & Assurance