Students: Corporate Finance | Deloitte Ireland | Careers has been added to your bookmarks.
Why a Career in Corporate Finance?
Apply now for the 2018 Graduate Programme in Corporate Finance, Belfast. What impact will you make?
At Deloitte, success is about protecting, enhancing and realising value for our clients. That’s how our Corporate Finance team makes a lasting impact that matters. Whether our clients are seeking to expand organically or through acquisitions, realise value through a disposal or restructuring, raise new equity or debt finance or improve balance sheet funding efficiencies, the emphasis is on delivering innovative, effective solutions tailored towards our clients’ specific requirements.
- What is Corporate Finance?
- Department breakdown
- Learning and Development
- Paths to qualification
- Qualifications, Skills & Experience
What is Corporate Finance?
Our market-leading Corporate Finance business offers a full range of services from M&A advisory to due diligence, valuation, debt advisory and restructuring services. Our team has been growing strongly over the last number of years, and we have been at the forefront of a number of significant transactions with major Irish clients.
The Deloitte Corporate Finance clients come from a range of industry sectors, which contributes to the diverse and varied nature of assignments. We work in teams that vary in size according to the assignment and are designed to foster a collaborative working approach across all levels. From an early stage, trainees are dealing with senior level personnel in companies and are working on high profile transactions which are often highly confidential and complex in nature.
As a trainee within the Corporate Finance group, we’ll develop your business acumen, and you will benefit from a very interesting and varied experience. You’ll pick up valuable industry sector and deal insights from experienced people specialised in the various aspects Corporate Finance that will set you on the path to a successful career.
What impact will you make?
We provide a range of strategic advisory services to clients, including advice on acquisitions, disposals, equity capital raising, valuations, public private partnerships, financial modelling and debt advisory. Our Transactions Services team also provide support to clients buying or selling a business with a focus on identifying transaction risks and factors impacting on value. Services include due diligence, advice on share purchase agreements and reports to support stock exchange listings.
We provide restructuring and reorganisation services to underperforming and financially troubled businesses, in addition to acting in a formal capacity as Examiner, Receiver and Liquidator.
We provide advice on resolving shareholder disputes, breach of contract claims, investigating fraud and are frequently called upon to act as expert witness in court.
Learning and Development
Our commitment to the professional development of our people is absolute. Focused on technical, client relationship and technology skills, and reinforced by on-the-job learning, our ‘lifelong’ tailored approach will ensure you continue to progress in your career and become the leader you know you can be.
Structured technical training is available at each level of your training programme and includes courses on due diligence, financial modelling, corporate finance, deal structuring, valuations and more. In addition, we also provide professional training, which focuses on developing the competencies required to become a professional advisor to clients such as management and leadership development. During your training contract you will work within one of our service lines working on challenging client assignments.
A day working in corporate finance could involve any of the following activities:
- Carrying out an acquisition search for a potential M&A transaction
- Running a deal process when advising the shareholders on the sale of a business
- Researching valuation multiples to advise a client on the value of a company
- Analysing the financial statements of a company as part of a due diligence or preparation for a sale or debt raise
- Attending client meetings with colleagues
- Preparing a financial model for a client to assess the financial feasibility of a project, the valuation of a business or the debt capacity
- Assisting clients to raise the necessary debt or equity finance required to fund projects or to drive their growth
- Advising distressed companies on the restructuring options available to ensure their continued survival
- Managing insolvency processes such as a creditors voluntary liquidation
- Creating turnaround strategies on behalf of clients or their lenders
- Reviewing client accounts and records to determine if fraudulent activity is apparent
Read more about our learning approach.
Paths to qualification
Trainees within Corporate Finance complete the Chartered Accountants Ireland qualification (ACA). The ACA qualification comprises three sets of professional examinations: CAP1; CAP2; Final Admitting Exam (FAE).
The many benefits of completing an ACA training contract with Deloitte can be found below:
- All education and exam fees paid
- Study and exam leave
- Exposure to quality, professional accountancy experience
- Mentored by senior Chartered Accountants
- Salary that increases in line with exam progression
- Strong foundation in skills such as audit, tax, or financial services for careers in either practice or business
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
Applications are encouraged from all academic disciplines, including accounting, business, law, science, technology, engineering, maths, amongst others. Other requirements include:
- Achieved or are currently on target for a 2.1 honours degree or higher
- A high level of self-motivation and commitment
- The ability to analyse and work through complex problems
- Flexibility, resilience and intellectual curiosity
- A proactive approach to work
- Ability to collaborate and work well within a team environment
- The ability to learn quickly
- Demonstrated leadership, creative problem solving and strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritise tasks, work on multiple assignments, and manage change
- Some relevant work experience (e.g. internships, summer positions, school jobs)
At Deloitte, we offer competitive reward packages and a variety of benefits. The firm also offers a number of wellbeing programmes to reflect the balance of priorities in our people’s lives.
- 21 days annual leave rising with service plus 1 additional Deloitte Day (22 days total)
- Paid time off in lieu (TOIL)
- Compressed working week. 2pm finish on Friday’s during June, July and August
- Discounted health insurance
- Life assurance
- Pension plan
- Paid professional subscription
- Graduation leave
- Advanced learning and development programmes
- Comprehensive professional education and study leave programme
- Employee assistance programme
- Tax saver travel pass
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee recognition awards
- Annual Corporate Responsibility Impact Day
- Deloitte Unplugged programme
- Corporate deals and discounts
Read more about life at Deloitte.