Why a Career in Risk Advisory?
Graduate Recruitment Programme now open
At Deloitte, success means understanding that risk is a source of competitive advantage. By managing risk more effectively, organisations unleash their full potential, creating and protecting value for stakeholders, and making a lasting impact on the business.
- What is Risk Advisory?
- Learning and development
- Paths to qualification
- Professional Education
- Qualifications, Skills & Experience
Why choose a career in Risk Advisory
What is Risk Advisory?
Deloitte is the leading provider of Risk Advisory services and offers the opportunity to be involved with a wide array of high profile projects across all sectors including Financial Services, Insurance, Banking & Funds, Consumer & Technology Business, and Government, Public and non-State organisations.
We offer services designed to understand IT and business risks, determine acceptable exposure levels, implement controls, and provide follow-up and constant monitoring in the risk and regulatory environment.
As a graduate, you will work with organisations to identify, manage and prepare for risk, develop strategies to minimise risk and react quickly and confidently when faced with an issue or crisis. You will work with our global network to share ideas and take advantage of new technology to understand and resolve issues.
Our nationwide team is home to a diverse range of employees, skill-sets and specialisations. You can join a team that offers variety specialising in a number of different areas:
Operational Risk at Deloitte helps organisations transform the ways they leverage people, third-party relationships, technology, data, business processes, and controls to manage operational risks and elevate business performance. Developing integrated, strategically-aligned operational risk management solutions allow organisations to make optimised business decisions.
Strategic & Reputation Risk
Strategic & Reputation Risk at Deloitte helps organisations make risk-informed strategic choices and respond to disruptions to grow their business and protect their reputation. C-suite and boards need the right insights, best-in-class corporate governance, and a risk culture aimed at driving value.
Our Cyber Risk team at Deloitte helps organisations prevent cyberattacks and protect valuable assets. We believe in being secure, vigilant, and resilient—not only by looking at how to prevent and respond to attacks, but at how to manage cyber risk in a way that allows you to unleash new opportunities. Embed cyber risk at the start of strategy development for more effective management of information and technology risks.
Our Regulatory Risk team at Deloitte helps organisations anticipate and adapt to changes in the regulatory environment, and build better programs and controls to address the wide variety of regulations and regulatory risks. We work with clients and regulators on effective remediation in response to compliance events.
Our Financial Risk team at Deloitte helps organisations across the full lifecycle of financial transactions. From governance and processes to technology and reporting, our services can enhance transparency, efficiency, compliance, and financial integrity.
Our Data Analytics team at Deloitte assists clients with applying data analytic techniques to increase an organisation’s capacity to anticipate risk and maximise business opportunities through data driven insights. Deloitte’s deep and thorough understanding of underlying risk and control issues, combined with our knowledge of technology and analytic skills, uniquely helps us to identify high priority risk areas in our clients businesses and explore those risks using data analytics.
Our Data Privacy team at Deloitte helps organisations identify, understand and manage the risks associated with one of their key assets – personal data. We provide advice on all aspects of data privacy to some of the largest organisations across Ireland, and globally. We work with organisations to help navigate the myriad of privacy challenges presented by changing regulation against a backdrop of constant technology advancement and innovation.
Learning and development
Our commitment to the professional development of our people is absolute. Focused on technical, client relationship and technology skills, and reinforced by on-the-job learning, our ‘lifelong’ tailored approach will ensure you continue to progress in your career and become the leader you know you can be.
Paths to qualification
Risk Advisory associates and analysts complete their professional examinations during their Deloitte training contract. Professional examinations and paths to qualification include:
Associates within Operational Risk (Internal Audit) will study for the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland qualification (ACA) with the benefit of financial and operational Risk Advisory audit experience.
There are a small number of additional qualifications available to Operational Risk associates with the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA).
Data Privacy and Cyber Risk
Analysts within our Risk Advisory Technology service lines have the opportunity to study for a range of professional qualifications including:
- Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA) Professional Qualification - Certified Information Systems Auditor Qualification (CISA)
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- The International Information Systems Security Certification Consortium, Inc. (ISC) - Systems Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP)
- Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM)
- Certified Information Privacy Technologist (CIPT)
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E)
We have opportunities available within Regulatory Risk for associates interested in the following professional pathways:
- The Association of Compliance Officers of Ireland (ACOI) Professional Certificate and/or Diploma in Compliance
Other Qualification Pathways include:
- The Global Association of Risk Professionals (GARP)
- Financial Risk Manager Examinations (FRM)
The firm is committed to supporting students through their course of study and subsequent admittance to the professional body not only by providing the competencies through the Risk Advisory work but also fully supporting this course of study through our Professional Education support programme. This provides a mixture of study leave, tutorials, mock exams and additional internal support mechanisms such as our exam hotline.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
Applications are encouraged from all academic disciplines, including accounting, business, law, science, technology, engineering, maths, amongst others. Other requirements include:
- Achieved or are currently on target for a 2.1 honours degree or higher
- A high level of self-motivation and commitment
- The ability to analyse and work through complex problems
- Flexibility, resilience and intellectual curiosity
- A proactive approach to work
- Ability to collaborate and work well within a team environment
- The ability to learn quickly
- Demonstrated leadership, creative problem solving and strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritise tasks, work on multiple assignments, and manage change
- Some relevant work experience (e.g. internships, summer positions, school jobs)
We offer competitive reward packages and a variety of benefits. The firm also offers a number of wellbeing programmes to reflect the balance of priorities in our people’s lives.
- 21 days annual leave rising with service plus 1 additional Deloitte Day (22 days total)
- Compressed working week. 2pm finish on Friday’s during June, July and August
- Discounted health insurance
- Life assurance
- Pension plan
- Paid professional subscription
- Graduation leave
- Advanced learning and development programmes
- Employee assistance programme
- Tax saver travel pass
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee recognition awards
- Annual Corporate Responsibility Impact Day
- Deloitte Unplugged programme
- Corporate deals and discounts
Read more about life at Deloitte.
Hear more from our people within Risk Advisory
Jonathan McMillan - Associate, Internal Audit
Conor Quinn - Analyst, Cyber Risk
Sharath Kunniyoor Cheemeni - Analyst, Technology & Data Risk
Alison Hall - Consultant, Operational Risk - Assurance
Katherine Cancelado - Senior Consultant, Cyber Risk
Shane McEntagart - Assistant Manager, Cyber Risk