Apply now for our Graduate programme, Dublin.
Our multi-award winning Tax team is one of the largest and fastest growing tax advisory service providers in Ireland. We provide a full range of business and personal taxation services to a wide range of clients, from the largest multinational companies to family-owned businesses and private individuals.
Tax Consulting is all about solving complex intellectual challenges. We help our clients make the right business decisions, on a worldwide scale, by working collaboratively and creatively. Which means you get to see the bigger picture and become an expert in your specialist field.
A Career at Deloitte
Tax is a varied and challenging profession. It draws on a wide range of technical, analytical and written presentation skills. Tax is constantly changing and developing, and is a significant business issue and cost for our clients particularly in the current climate. As a tax professional, you need to be able to respond to your clients, providing them with value added services and advice, while ensuring that your client understands complex tax issues and the associated financial consequences.
Learning and development
Our commitment to the professional development of our people is absolute. Focused on technical, client relationship and technology skills, and reinforced by on-the-job learning, our ‘lifelong’ tailored approach will ensure you continue to progress in your career.
At Deloitte you can expect to advance your personal development and professional competence by undertaking challenging work supported by world-class training programmes and initiatives, ensuring you have the knowledge and skills you need to succeed.
From the moment you join, you’ll be valued for the unique contribution you make and the fresh ideas you bring. You’ll work directly with clients on projects that have a very real and meaningful impact on their success. As well as gaining a recognised professional qualification, you’ll develop the kind of rounded business skills that will serve you well regardless of where your future takes you. And you’ll get all the support you need to become the leader you know you can be.
Our business at a glance: Tax
There are a number of business units within our tax department:
• Financial services – provide advice to a broad range of financial services businesses offering a full range of tax services.
• Corporate & International tax – develops solutions for indigenous and multinational companies and advises companies on the tax impact of business reorganisations, mergers and acquisitions and financing structures.
The Private Clients business unit helps individuals manage their personal wealth, provides advice on measures that can be put in place to protect family businesses and family wealth into the future, as well as assisting in the transition of family wealth from one generation to the next. The work is varied and consultancy focused. The group also advises clients, both individuals and corporates, on all areas of capital gains tax, gift and inheritance tax and stamp duty. The members of the Private Clients team have varied backgrounds and includes solicitors, accountants and tax consultants.
Indirect tax (VAT)
The indirect tax business unit advises both domestic and international clients on a broad range of transactions including cross border supply chains, business mergers and acquisitions, complex property transactions and tax compliance. It also assists clients in achieving competitive advantage, ensuring businesses have the robust and tax-sensitive processes, controls and systems needed to manage risk, and anticipate and respond to change.
Global Employer Solutions (GES)
Global Employer Solutions (GES) advises companies and executives on employer and employee taxes ensuring compliance with tax legislation. It provides global mobility services to multinational companies advising on the tax and social security implications relating to employee assignments to different countries and also provides immigration advice on the movement of staff between countries. The GES team works closely with the Deloitte global network. GES also provides advice on compensation and benefits, employee share incentive schemes and workforce restructuring programmes.
The transfer pricing business unit help companies manage risks by aligning practical transfer pricing solutions with companies overall global business operations and objectives, assist with strategic documentation to support transfer pricing practices and assist clients with tax authority dispute resolution matters. Our transfer pricing team is currently the International Tax Review Ireland transfer pricing firm of the year for 2016.
Paths to qualification
There are three paths to qualifying within the tax department:
- Completing the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland qualification (ACA) and the Irish Taxation Institute qualification (AITI)
- Completing the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland qualification (ACA) and the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland Chartered Tax Consultant qualification (CTC)
- For those studying towards the tax qualification only, you will complete the Irish Taxation Institute qualification (AITI)
- Graduates joining the Belfast office will study the equivalent UK tax qualification, Association of Tax Technicians (ATT) and The Chartered Institute of Taxation (CTA).
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- You will have achieved or on target for a 2.1 honours degree or higher
- Applications are encouraged from all academic disciplines, including accounting, business, law, science, technology, engineering, maths, amongst others
- Demonstrated leadership, creative problem solving and strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritise tasks, work on multiple assignments, and manage change.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team with professionals at all levels.
- Ideally you should have some relevant work experience (e.g. internships, summer positions, school jobs).