Why a Career in Tax? has been saved
Why a Career in Tax?
What is Tax?
Tax is all about solving complex intellectual challenges. We help our clients make the right business decisions, on a worldwide scale, by working collaboratively and creatively. Which means you get to see the bigger picture and become an expert in your specialist field.
The tax landscape is undergoing significant change; with amendments to tax legislation, increased media focus and scrutiny, technology advancements, and the increasingly global reach of clients, all coming together to shape an exciting and challenging future in the market for tax services.
Tax is now more high-profile than ever. We need creative problem solvers who will drive innovation in tax consulting and make a lasting impact.
Find out more:
- Work with the #1 global leader in professional services by both revenue and number of professionals, and one of the largest and fastest-growing tax advisory service providers in Ireland.
- Advise and collaborate with a wide range of clients - from the largest multinational companies to family-owned businesses and private individuals.
- Be a part of the best-in-Ireland professional development programme. Deloitte has one of the highest exam pass rates in professional exams in Ireland and a comprehensive exam study support programme available for ACA and CTA exams
- Join an award-winning team: Deloitte Ireland were awarded as Tier 1 Tax & Tier 1 Transfer Pricing firms by International Tax Review World Tax Guides 2021. Also shortlisted as Ireland’s Transfer Pricing Firm of the Year 2020, and won award in 2019, 2017, 2016, 2013 and 2012. Listed as European Transfer Pricing Firm of the Year 2019 as recognised by the International Tax Review.
- Represent leading clients in tax disputes and accompanying our Tax Partners at proceedings both home and abroad.
- Enjoy Tax Unplugged and social committees; arranging frequent sports and social events.
- Develop solutions for our clients in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
Our Financial Services industry specialists provide comprehensive tax solutions to the banking & securities, insurance, and investment management sectors. Read more
Our Corporate & International tax specialists develops solutions for indigenous
and multinational companies and advises companies on the tax impact of business reorganisations, mergers and acquisitions and financing structures. Read more
The Private Clients business unit helps individuals manage their personal wealth to protect family businesses and family wealth into the future. The members of the Private Clients team have varied backgrounds and includes solicitors, accountants and tax consultants.
Indirect Tax (VAT)
As an expert in all the indirect taxes that affect businesses, from VAT to landfill
tax, you’ll help clients minimize the costs whenever, wherever and however they
do business. Read more
Global Employer Services (GES)
Advising on mobility, immigration and reward, our GES team helps employers of all shapes and sizes to effectively move their people around the globe and plan the right pay, benefits and immigration support for their staff and families. The GES team works closely with the Deloitte global network. Read more
The transfer pricing business unit help companies manage risks by aligning practical transfer pricing solutions with companies overall global business operations and objectives, assist with strategic documentation to support transfer pricing practices and assist clients with tax authority dispute resolution matters. Read more
Tax Technology / Tax Management Consulting (TMC)
The TMC team brings together a unique blend of consulting, technology, tax technical and tax reporting experience to help businesses meet the challenges of multi-jurisdictional tax operations, including compliance, reporting, tax technology and tax risk management. Within TMC sits our tax technology service offering, which undertakes tax technology automation and analytics projects. Read more
Research & Development
Part of our Global Investment and Innovation Incentives (Gi3) group, this is a growing team of tax and technology specialists who advise a diverse range of multinational and indigenous clients on how to maximise the tax benefits and grant support available for their investments in research & development and business expansion. This includes advising on the requirements to claim R&D tax credit and the documentation necessary to support a claim. Read more
Business Process Solutions (BPS)
Deloitte's Business Process Solutions (BPS) practice helps our clients optimize the performance of important business functions such as accounting, tax, payroll, and corporate administration so that our clients can concentrate their efforts on their own businesses. BPS provides a complete set of accounting, tax, and administration services for multi-national corporations. Read more
There are three paths to qualifying:
- Completing the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland qualification (ACA) and the Irish Taxation Institute qualification (AITI)
- Completing the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland qualification (ACA) and the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland Chartered Tax Consultant qualification (CTC)
- For those studying towards the tax qualification only, you will complete the Irish Taxation Institute qualification (AITI)
- Graduates joining the Belfast office will study the equivalent UK tax qualification, Association of Tax Technicians (ATT) and The Chartered Institute of Taxation (CTA).
- For our Tax Management Consulting graduate programme, the professional exam route is not mandatory. Your focus will mainly be on technology and ERP certifications and training, with the option of pursuing your professional exams.
- Associates who would like to complete both AITI and ACA exams are encouraged to complete a recognised Masters in Accounting or Post-Graduate diploma in Accounting, which if successful at interview stage will be offered sponsorship by Deloitte to do so.
- If this is not for you, our direct entry route allows graduates to join us directly after university to combine work and study throughout their training contract.
Our commitment to the professional development of our people is absolute. Focused on technical, client relationship and technology skills, and reinforced by on-the-job learning, our Graduate Journey will ensure you continue to progress in your career and become the leader you know you can be.
The content of your training depends on your role.
Applications are encouraged from all academic disciplines, including accounting, business, law, science, technology, engineering, maths, amongst others. Other requirements include:
- Achieved or are currently on target for a 2.1 honours degree or higher
- A high level of self-motivation and commitment
- The ability to analyse and work through complex problems
- Flexibility, resilience and intellectual curiosity
- A proactive approach to work
- Ability to collaborate and work well within a team environment
- The ability to learn quickly
- Demonstrated leadership, creative problem-solving and strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritise tasks, work on multiple assignments, and manage change
- Some relevant work experience (e.g. internships, summer positions, school jobs)
Note: For the Tax Management Consulting (Tax Technology) stream, additional requirements apply:
- Bachelor’s degree with concentration in Management Information Systems, data science, computer science is required, ideally with some Accounting or Finance modules
- Strong proficiency in basic PC applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) with a general understanding of data analysis techniques
- Basic knowledge and understanding of IT controls, business processes and internal controls
- Desirable: Certification or experience with ERP systems or in agile technology solutions like MS VBA, Alteryx, SQL, Core Java, Python, R, Anaplan and analytic tools like Tableau, Power BI and Qlik
Your Reward at Deloitte encompasses a competitive salary and benefits, exam awards, paid study leave and recognition of discretionary effort. Here, recognition doesn’t just come from leaders. It’s part of a culture where we take pride in our colleagues’ accomplishments as much as we do our own.
Benefits in our Graduate Programme include, among others:
- 21 days annual leave rising with service plus 1 additional Deloitte Day (22 days total) + Gradution leave
- Advanced learning and development programmes as well as comprehensive professional education and study leave programmes
- Compressed working week (2pm finish on Fridays during June, July and August) and agile/hybrid working options
- Tax saver travel pass & cycle to work scheme
- Deloitte Unplugged wellbeing programme
- Employee assistance programme and online GP service
Speak to your recruiter to find out the full range of benefits for your particular role.
Find out more about Your Reward at Deloitte
Join the conversation on social media #GrowWithDeloitte