Why a Career in Tax?
Apply now for the Tax Graduate Programme 2018. What impact will you make?
At Deloitte, success is about building teams that make a global impact. Our multi-award winning Tax team is one of the largest and fastest growing tax advisory service providers in Ireland. We provide a full range of business and personal taxation services to a wide range of clients, from the largest multinational companies to family-owned businesses and private individuals.
- What is Tax?
- Hear from our people in Tax
- Learning and Development
- Department Breakdown
- Paths to qualification
Meet Danielle Deasy, a graduate of Corporate Tax, who placed 1st in Ireland in the 2017 CTA Tax exams
What is Tax?
Tax Consulting is all about solving complex intellectual challenges. We help our clients make the right business decisions, on a worldwide scale, by working collaboratively and creatively. Which means you get to see the bigger picture and become an expert in your specialist field.
Tax is constantly developing and is a significant business issue and cost for our clients particularly in the current climate.
To succeed as a tax professional, you need to be able to respond to your clients, providing them with value added services and advice, while ensuring that your client understands complex tax issues and the associated financial consequences.
Tax is changing; it’s more high profile than ever. We need creative problem solvers who will drive innovation in tax consulting and make a lasting impact.
What impact will you make?
Why work in Tax
- Opportunity to work with the global leader in professional services by both revenue and number of professionals and one of the largest and fastest growing tax advisory service providers in Ireland.
- Advising and collaborating with a wide variety of clients from the largest
multinational companies to family-owned businesses and private individuals.
- Being part of a professional development programme. Placed 1st in recent CTA Part 1 and Part 3 exams. 100% pass rate for recent FAE exams!
- Joining an award winning team: Tier 1 Tax & Transfer Pricing practice as ranked by International Tax Review World Tax Guides 2018. Also Ireland’s Transfer Pricing Firm of the Year 2017 and European Transfer Pricing Firm of the Year 2017, as recognised by the International Tax Review.
- Representing leading clients in tax disputes and accompanying our Tax Partners at proceedings both home and abroad.
- Tax unplugged and social committees arranging frequent sports and social events.
Read Top 10 reasons to join Deloitte
Learning and Development
Our commitment to the professional development of our people is absolute. Focused on technical, client relationship and technology skills, and reinforced by on-the-job learning, our ‘lifelong’ tailored approach will ensure you continue to progress in your career and become the leader you know you can be.
As well as gaining a recognised professional qualification, you’ll discover all kinds of new business and technical skills, as well as everything you need to do your job and accelarate your career. The content of your training depends on your role. Read more on our Learning Approach.
There are a number of business units within our Tax department:
Our Financial Services industry specialists provide comprehensive tax solutions to the banking & securities, insurance, and investment management sectors. Read more on our Financial Services.
Our Corporate & International tax specialists develops solutions for indigenous and multinational companies and advises companies on the tax impact of business reorganisations, mergers and acquisitions and financing structures. Read more on our Corporate & International service.
The Private Clients business unit helps individuals manage their personal wealth to protect family businesses and family wealth into the future. The members of the Private Clients team have varied backgrounds and includes solicitors, accountants and tax consultants.
Indirect Tax (VAT)
As an expert in all the indirect taxes that affect businesses, from VAT to landfill tax, you’ll help clients minimize the costs whenever, wherever and however they do business. Read more on Indirect Tax.
Global Employer Solutions (GES)
Advising on mobility and reward. You’ll help employers of all shapes and sizes to effectively move their people around the globe and plan the right pay and benefits for their staff. The GES team works closely with the Deloitte global network. Read More on Global Employer Solutions service.
The transfer pricing business unit help companies manage risks by aligning practical transfer pricing solutions with companies overall global business operations and objectives, assist with strategic documentation to support transfer pricing practices and assist clients with tax authority dispute resolution matters. Our transfer pricing team is currently the International Tax Review Ireland transfer pricing firm of the year for 2016. Read more about our Transfer Pricing service.
Paths to qualification
There are three paths to qualifying within the tax department:
- Completing the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland qualification (ACA) and the Irish Taxation Institute qualification (AITI)
- Completing the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland qualification (ACA) and the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland Chartered Tax Consultant qualification (CTC)
- For those studying towards the tax qualification only, you will complete the Irish Taxation Institute qualification (AITI)
- Graduates joining the Belfast office will study the equivalent UK tax qualification, Association of Tax Technicians (ATT) and The Chartered Institute of Taxation (CTA).
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
Applications are encouraged from all academic disciplines, including accounting, business, law, science, technology, engineering, maths, amongst others. Other requirements include:
- Achieved or are currently on target for a 2.1 honours degree or higher
- A high level of self-motivation and commitment
- The ability to analyse and work through complex problems
- Flexibility, resilience and intellectual curiosity
- A proactive approach to work
- Ability to collaborate and work well within a team environment
- The ability to learn quickly
- Demonstrated leadership, creative problem solving and strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritise tasks, work on multiple assignments, and manage change
- Some relevant work experience (e.g. internships, summer positions, school jobs)
We offer competitive reward packages and a variety of benefits. The firm also offers a number of wellbeing programmes to reflect the balance of priorities in our people’s lives.
- 21 days annual leave rising with service plus 1 additional Deloitte Day (22 days total)
- Paid time off in lieu (TOIL)
- Compressed working week. 2pm finish on Friday’s during June, July and August
- Discounted health insurance
- Life assurance
- Pension plan
- Paid professional subscription
- Graduation leave
- Advanced learning and development programmes
- Comprehensive professional education and study leave programme
- Employee assistance programme
- Tax saver travel pass
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee recognition awards
- Annual Corporate Responsibility Impact Day
- Deloitte Unplugged programme
- Corporate deals and discounts
Read more about life at Deloitte.