Asset Segregation under the AIFMD
Responses to ESMA’s Consultation on Guidelines
On 1 December 2014 ESMA published a Consultation on Guidelines on Asset Segregation under the AIFMD (the Consultation Paper). We reviewed the Consultation Paper in our December newsletter.
In it, ESMA proposed five options for the segregation of assets by a sub-depositary, in circumstances where an AIF’s depositary had outsourced the custody of the AIF’s assets.
In brief, ESMA proposed that the first two options were preferable and the remaining three should be discarded. We have reviewed some of the responses submitted by industry, and summarise their preferences and suggestions on how ESMA should proceed with the guidelines.
ESMA are reviewing the feedback received and will publish finalised guidelines in Q2 2015. It will be interesting to see whether the weight of industry opposition to Options 1 and 2 and preference for Option 4 causes them to re-consider their proposals.
Audit and assurance services
- Audit of the financial statements
- Advising on controls and processes
- Ensuring compliance with regulation and laws
- Advising on recognised accounting standards and compliance with them
- Providing internal audit support
Consulting and advisory services
- Preparing gap analyses and impact assessment of regulatory developments on current business model
- Identifying and appraising strategies for investment fund managers and fund service providers
- Identifying, project managing and implementing operational changes
- Assessing internal compliance models and developing and implementing compliant systems
- Assisting with investor tax reporting in multiple jurisdictions
- Reviewing taxation liability including residency, permanent establishment risks, capital gains liability, and withholding tax at fund, portfolio and investor level as appropriate
- Registering the funds for various taxes and advising on and assisting with tax returns
- Reviewing tax wording in fund documentation Working with regulatory experts to assess the implications of regulatory requirements on fund related taxation
- Advising on tax developments such as the Financial Transactions Tax, FATCA, BEPS, and the OECD's Common Reporting Standard.