Press releases

Changes to Employment and Investment Incentive relief will make it more accessible and encourage additional investment

Finance Bill 2019

Finance Bill 2019 makes a number of changes to the Employment and Investment Incentive (EII) relief including:

  • Full income tax relief in the year of investment now available, effective from 8 October 2019 - previously 75% relief was available in the year of investment with the remaining 25% relief being available in year 4 where certain conditions linked to employment or R&D activities of the company were met. 
  • The annual investment limit will be increased from €150,000 to €500,000 where the investor undertakes to retain the investment for a period of 10 years and €250,000 in all other cases, effective from 1 January 2020 onwards.

Commenting on the impact of these measures, Alison McHugh, Director, Tax, Deloitte commented:

For investments made from 8 October 2019 onwards there will no requirement to satisfy any conditions relating to future employment/R&D spend in order to qualify for the relief, which should make it more accessible.

In addition, the full relief will be available in the year of investment provided the investor has sufficient income. For individuals, the enhancement of this relief is welcome especially given there are very few total income reliefs currently available. This will also act as an incentive for investors to provide alternate funding to businesses by encouraging additional investment.

Ends

For Further Information Please Contact

Aoibheann O’Sullivan
Murray
01 498 0300
087 6291453
aosullivan@murrayconsultants.ie

Claire Quinn
Deloitte
01 417 2356
087 9777783
cquinn@deloitte.ie

About Deloitte

At Deloitte, we make an impact that matters for our clients, our people, our profession, and in the wider society by delivering the solutions and insights they need to address their most complex business challenges.

As the largest global professional services and consulting network, with approximately 286,000 professionals in more than 150 countries, we bring world-class capabilities and high-quality services to our clients.

In Ireland, Deloitte has approximately 3,000 people providing audit, tax, consulting, and financial advisory services to public and private clients spanning multiple industries. Our people have the leadership capabilities, experience and insight to collaborate with clients so they can move forward with confidence.

In this press release references to Deloitte are references to Deloitte Ireland LLP. The information contained in this press release is correct at the time of going to press. Deloitte Ireland LLP is the Ireland affiliate of Deloitte NSE LLP, a member firm of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, a UK private company limited by guarantee (“DTTL”). DTTL and each of its member firms are legally separate and independent entities. DTTL and Deloitte NSE LLP do not provide services to clients. Please see www.deloitte.com/about to learn more about our global network of member firms.

Did you find this useful?

Related topics