Technology, social media and e-commerce companies in Ireland
Plug in to a competitive tax system
Technology, social media and e-commerce companies in Ireland – plug in to a competitive tax system
Ireland has established itself as a leading jurisdiction for social media and other technology companies and is home to many of the world’s leading computer hardware, software and social media businesses.
This is due to a number of factors, including Ireland’s:
• Very competitive tax regime, particularly for foreign direct investment
• Highly skilled workforce, including a relatively high degree of workers with STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) attributes
• Transparent and well-developed legal system, offering robust protection of intellectual property, and excellent business support infrastructure
• Location in Europe and membership of the European Union
• Inclusion in the eurozone currency bloc and
• Status as a largely English-speaking country, coupled with a large number of native speakers of other languages.
Knowledge Development Box
In addition to a low corporate tax rate of 12.5 per cent, the Irish Government offers a competitive R&D Tax Credit regime and has also announced the introduction of a Knowledge Development Box, similar to (and expected to be very competitive with) other ‘patent box’ regimes in Europe and elsewhere.
The Knowledge Development Box should support the ongoing development and enhancement of technology-related IP that is at the core of technology, social media and e-commerce companies. There is currently a consultation process on the Knowledge Development Box ongoing and Deloitte will be actively participating in this process aimed at ensuring Ireland retains a very competitive tax regime.
Deloitte advises many of the world’s leading technology, social media and e-commerce multinationals and entrepreneurs, helping them structure their operations efficiently and avail themselves of the advantages offered by Ireland’s attractive and business-friendly tax system.
For more information on the Irish tax system and how locating in Ireland can benefit your business, please do not hesitate to contact us.