Overview of the legal services which we offer for Japanese and offshore investment managers as well as financial institutions.
The Investment Management Group consists of leading professionals with extensive experience in advising on complex Japanese regulatory issues relevant to both offshore and domestic investment managers and financial institutions. The team has significant experience in advising financial institutions seeking to enter the Japanese market on a wide range of areas (capital raising, financial institution business operator registrations, insider trading, etc.).
Japanese Financial Regulations
The Investment Management Group provides a wide range of advice on laws and regulations of Japan relevant to both offshore and domestic investment managers and financial institutions conducting business in Japan, including the following:
• Support for registration as financial instruments business operators in Japan and obtaining membership with various organizations for financial instruments business operators
• Development of policies and procedures, including compliance manuals
• Ongoing regulatory/compliance support to registered financial instruments business operators (ongoing reporting, filings, etc.)
• Performance of mock audits to assess compliance readiness
• Other forms of regulatory support as may be required
Investment Funds and Securities Offerings
The Investment Management Group provides a wide range of comprehensive legal services to investment managers and financial institutions seeking to enter the Japanese market, including the following services:
• Advice on the establishment of funds, acting as both the lead counsel and Japan counsel for offshore investment funds
• Advice for fund managers on the rules and regulations of Japan with respect to securities offerings (private placement regulations, the Article 63 Exemption, etc.)
• Registration of funds with the Financial Services Agency for securities offerings in Japan
• Advice on rules and regulations with respect to trading on Japanese exchanges (short sales, block shareholding, insider trading rules, etc.)
The Investment Management Group provides general corporate legal services with respect to the formation of various types of Japanese entities, such as:
• Assistance in the formation of offices in Japan and acquisition of any of the four financial instruments business operators registrations
• Preparation of minutes of general shareholder/board meetings
Global Network and Collaboration with Other Professionals
Deloitte Legal Japan is a member of the Deloitte Tohmatsu Group consisting of professionals from various services across Japan and also a Japanese member firm of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, which consists of member firms in over 150 countries around the world.
In light of this global Deloitte network, working with its affiliated entities, Deloitte Legal Japan can also provide a wide variety of other services (e.g. tax, accounting, financial consulting, M&A advice, employment) so that the Deloitte Japan may act as a “one-stop shop” for its clients.
Japan Regulatory Update:October 19, 2017