Redesigning development finance | Deloitte Kuwait | Global initiatives has been added to your bookmarks.
Redesigning development finance
Deloitte supports the World Economic Forum’s Redesigning Development Finance Initiative and Sustainable Development Investment Partnership, collaborating with the Forum to generate content and research critical to these topics. This page provides details on the initiatives as well as key project deliverables, perspectives from Deloitte leaders, and links to related eminence.
- Related Deloitte reports and initiatives
- Insight: Blended finance in the national planning process
- Find out more Impact investing
- Related topics
Developing countries will need to overcome a US$1 trillion infrastructure gap if they are to meet the goals of the United Nations 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Blended finance—the strategic use of development finance and philanthropic funds to mobilize private capital flows to emerging and frontier markets—is fundamental to advancing progress towards these goals. Partnering with Deloitte and a range of donor and philanthropic organizations, the Forum launched the Redesigning Development Finance Initiative (RDFI) to accelerate the understanding and implementation of a pioneering approach to development finance. The concept of blended finance has been a key outcome of this project.
Building on the work of RDFI, the Sustainable Development Investment Partnership (SDIP) was launched in September 2015 to provide a platform for financial institutions, governments, donors, DFIs and MDBs to collaborate on unlocking financing for projects that contribute to development outcomes in emerging and frontier markets. SDIP aims to mobilize US$100 billion in financing and investment through 2020 to help close the financing gap required to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
Outcomes on these projects, links to Deloitte’s work on key topics related to this initiative, and leadership perspectives are included below.
Insight: Blended finance in the national planning process
Based on work with the Forum, this point of view shares thinking on how to close the $1 trillion infrastructure gap in developing countries, offering four key actions governments should focus on:
- Align national planning with investor needs for project preparation;
- Engage with donors and DFIs to address critical risks and build concessional finance into the deal;
- Strengthen PPP units to coordinate between government agencies and the private sector; and
- Leverage multi-stakeholder initiatives and platforms, including SDIP.
Deloitte leaders and subject-matter experts discuss the challenges and opportunities for commercial finance to accelerate development impact.
- Blended finance for African infrastructure development, CNBC Africa interview with John Mennel, Managing Director, Federal Strategy
- Business leaders: this is our wake-up call, Punit Renjen, CEO, Deloitte Global
From investing to infrastructure, the scope and impact of development finance is significant and Deloitte has explored many of the issues and trends that are playing a role in this critical topic.
- Impact investing & hedge funds: a sustainable strategy
- Investments with social impact: Leading the way
- Unchartered Waters: Blending value and values for social impact through the SDGs
- License to innovate: Breakthrough strategies for social impact (English) (Spanish)
- Paying for outcomes: Solving complex societal issues through Social Impact Bonds
- State of the State New Zealand 2016: Social investment for our future
- How Deloitte supports the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
- Social Progress in 2030: Developing beyond economic growth
- Addressing Africa's infrastructure challenges
- Infrastructure & Capital Projects: Beyond tomorrow
Impact investing: What it is and why it matters
Impact investing—and more broadly social finance—includes a full range of investment strategies and solutions across asset classes that can provide a full range of risk-adjusted returns tailored to investor intent. From understanding the role environmental and social governance (ESG) factors in managing investor risk to creating innovative blended finance and pay-for-performance approaches that help crowd-in new investments into underserved markets, Deloitte is a thought-leader and strategic partner in helping clients leverage and deploy capital consistent with their mission-related imperatives and financial return expectations.
Specifically Deloitte engages in strategy, innovation, metrics, and eminence in:
- Innovative finance and domestic resource mobilization strategies
- ESG and socially responsible investing
- Social Impact Bonds (SIBs) and pay-for-performance
- Impact Investing
- Blended Finance
- Alternative Financing Vehicles for Non-Profits