Digital Capital Projects
A digital capital project is more than simply the use of technology in delivering a project. It represents a fundamental shift in how a project is designed, constructed, operated and decommissioned.
Digital transformation provides an opportunity to gain safety, efficiency, and significant financial benefits, including 5-10 per cent reduction in build costs and 10-20 per cent reduction in operational costs.
The key challenges to realising these benefits often relate to finding funding, organising people and securing buy-in, selecting the answer too soon, and delivering the change.
Deloitte has extensive experience of digital transformation. While the journey can be complex, we know that a successful outcome can be characterised very clearly and simply; a data driven approach, backed up by an agile innovation process and a digital mindset that permeates the project team and organisation.
Why now is the right time
Current technology now makes data collection, analysis and interaction more powerful and intuitive than ever before. As long as investment is approached early, consistently and strategically, benefits can outweigh the costs throughout the project lifecycle.
How we can help
Deloitte’s three phase transformation process can help you move forward, regardless of where you are on your digital journey. It is underpinned by tried and tested methodologies, with relevant toolkits and accelerators to support delivery.
1. Imagine. We work with you to identify where you want to be, where you are now, and a plan for the journey.
- Digital diagnostic: assess your existing digital capability and identify the issues that could be addressed by digital initiatives.
- Digital strategy: define your vision and strategy to inform a coherent approach, which can realise and accelerate value through digital, measured against tangible ambitions and deadlines.
- Investment planning: create an investment plan considering economic drivers against a robust evaluation model.
Deloitte’s Venture Path approach can help you innovate faster and cheaper; our extensive thought leadership in engineering and construction helps us solve your business and technology problems; while our investment appraisal and benefits modelling toolkit can help you assess and decide between your investment options.
2. Deliver. Our business and technology experience helps you put the plan into action.
- Design: based on the investment plan, design and pilot solutions for future delivery.
- Deliver: implement digital solutions, supported by analytic capability to maximise investment value.
We offer a Centre of Excellence (CoE) for construction analytics; draw on extensive experience in transition and readiness planning; provide agile delivery for new capabilities and staff empowerment; and have an Insight Driven Organisation (IDO) offering that builds analytics into your ongoing decision-making and improvement.
3. Run. We’ll stay with you once your projects are up and running, to keep them performing.
- Operate: run the capital project with enhanced digital capability, review against strategy and continue to evolve.
- Optimise: enhance your digital solutions to better suit your operations as they adapt.
Deloitte has strong partnerships for delivering simulated reality and 3D digital twin models. We can help you visualise and interact with data to give clear insights to project teams, management and executives.