Immigration Law News in Lithuania: Overview
A brief overview on immigration law news which mainly affects Blue Card holders and IT companies. This overview has been prepared for information purposes only and does not contain a binding advice.
Important for current Blue Card holders: average gross salary has increased significantly
The Statistics Department of Lithuania has recently announced an average gross monthly salary of the IV quarter of 2016 which amounts to EUR 822,8.
Employers of Blue Card holders in Lithuania have a duty to increase the salary to the level corresponding to newly announced data, if the monthly salary of the Blue Card holder becomes lower than the established minimum.
Depending on the Blue Card type chosen, a monthly salary of the Blue Card holder should be at least either 1,5 or 3 average salaries of Lithuania (i.e. at least EUR 1,235 or EUR 2,469 respectively).
In case there are no possibilities to increase the salary up to 3 average salaries of Lithuania, the employer is required to apply for the issue of a decision at the Labour Exchange Office, whereby it should be confirmed that the employment of third-country national corresponds to the needs of the Lithuanian labour market. Application to the Labour Exchange Office should be submitted at least 1 month prior to the day of lower salary payment.
The Statistics Department usually announces the information on average gross monthly salary in 2 months after the end of respective quarter of the year.
Simplified immigration procedure for highly qualified professions that are in demand in Lithuania
The Government of Lithuania has officially announced the list of highly qualified professions that are in demand in Lithuania. The list includes the following positions:
- Business IT Consultant;
- Computer Systems Designer;
- Administrator of Databases;
- IT Systems Administrator;
- Engineer of Technical Equipment Maintenance;
- Computer Systems Analyst;
- Computer Systems Consultant;
- Computer Games Programs Creator;
- Computer Applications Engineer;
- Engineer - Programmer;
- Software Tester;
- Network Analyst;
- Computer Systems Engineer;
- Graphic Designer;
- IT and Communications Security Specialist, etc.
A simplified immigration procedure for the issue of Blue Card applies for the third-country nationals invited to work in the above mentioned positions, i.e.:
- an employer hires a foreigner for at least 1 year period and pays a monthly salary not lower than 1,5 Lithuanian average gross salaries (i.e. not lower than EUR 1,235);
- there is no requirement for academic recognition of the diploma in Lithuania (however, a foreigner is required to submit a diploma/certification on his/her high professional qualification, which is necessary for particular position specified in the employment contract*);
- there is no requirement to obtain a decision of the Lithuanian Labour Exchange confirming that foreigner’s work corresponds to the needs of Lithuanian labour market.
Blue Card shall be issued for 3 years with a possibility for extension. Decision of the Migration department should be adopted within 1 month (in case of an urgent procedure – within 2 weeks).
Family members of Blue Card holders are eligible for temporary residence permits as well.
*Procedure for recognition of professional experience of at least 5 years, equal to high professional qualification, is not established by the Government of Lithuania yet.
This communication contains general information only, and none of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, its member firms, or their related entities (collectively, the “Deloitte Network”) is, by means of this communication, rendering professional advice or services. No entity in the Deloitte Network shall be responsible for any loss whatsoever sustained by any person who relies on this publication.