CSSF Circular 18/698 – English version – a wider leap has been saved
CSSF Circular 18/698 – English version – a wider leap
28 January 2019
Regulatory News Alert
The CSSF released an English translation of the CSSF Circular 18/698 for “GFI”. Although the French original version remains legally binding, this English translation will help Stakeholders to better grasp and share its content.
As a reminder, the focus of the circular is on reinforcing the status of “GFI” in Luxembourg, the principle being: Where there are responsibilities the “GFI” has to have the necessary means and organizational structure to meet these responsibilities.
The circular has to be seen as confirming existing practices that were applied by the CSSF as well as some specific new requirements in relation to the governance; central administration and internal controls; the fight against money laundering and terrorist financing; key functions such as delegated activities, marketing, internal administration, and procedures; and valuation.
The circular also includes the requirements in respect to the compliance and internal control functions of the GFI in one single document, which were previously covered by CSSF Circular 04/155 and IML Circular 98/143. Therefore, CSSF Circular 04/155 and IML Circular 98/143 are no longer applicable to GFI.
The most salient chapters of the circular are:
- Comprehensive list of definitions, such as “delegate” and “key functions”
- Introduction of a “fit and proper” dashboard for board members and conducting officers
- Defined threshold on the time spent and number of mandates for board members (maximum 1,920 hours per annum and 20 mandates)
- Focus on delegation and oversight aspects applicable to all delegates of GFI
- Alignment of the delays within which the annual reports/recurring information have to be transmitted to the CSSF – five months after the business year-end of the GFI
- Alignment of the risk management requirements for AIFs and UCITS
- Definition of the three-lines-of defense model to be applied by GFI
- Different scenarios and rules in respect of AML/CFT
- New annual reporting requirements in the area of AML/CFT to be transmitted to the CSSF
- Own funds requirements for GFI with a discretionary portfolio management license and offering investment management services
- Specific sections on the application of the European Market Infrastructure Regulation (EMIR) and Money Market Fund Regulation (MMFR)
- Exchange of information between the GFI and the depositary
It is clear that this new circular is an evolution, hence it is expected that substantial efforts may have to be undertaken until the requirements of the new CSSF circular can be considered as fully implemented across the entire industry.
The CSSF Circular 18/698 is applicable with immediate effect since august 2018 and repeals CSSF Circular 12/546, as amended. Assessing and implementing changes where required to your governance and business strategy has become a de facto priority.
How can Deloitte help ?
Deloitte Luxembourg can assist you in the effort of reviewing your current internal governance and due diligence arrangements, and support you in implementing any required changes or guiding you through your review and implementation process. Our experts organize tailored training sessions detailing the upcoming changes and their impact on your organization.
Deloitte can help you stay on top of regulatory news with our RegWatch Kaleidoscope service, and we leverage new rules into positive strategies.
Xavier Zaegel, FRM