Global Indirect Tax News has been saved
Global Indirect Tax News
Monthly newsletter covering VAT, goods and services tax, sales tax issues, and customs and trade issues around the globe.
World Trade Organization
- On 22 February 2017, the WTO Trade Facilitation Agreement entered into force, following ratification by 112 national parliaments out of a total 164 WTO members.
- Colombia: The recent tax reform includes a number of indirect taxes changes.
- Colombia: There is a new regulation with modifications to the rules for Free Trade Zones.
- Colombia: A decree has been issued implementing the new harmonized coding system of merchandise.
- Mexico: The Government has started the consultation process with the private sector prior to the negotiation of the North American Free Trade Agreement.
- Mexico: The import duty rates for electric vehicles have been modified.
- Mexico-Argentina: Ministers from Mexico and Argentina have met to review work on the Economic Complementation Agreement No. 6.
- Mexico-EU: A delegation of European Union parliamentarians has met the Mexican Minister of Economy.
- Australia: From 1 July 2017, Australia is adopting a vendor GST registration and collection model to ensure that low value goods imported by consumers face the same GST treatment as goods sourced domestically.
- China: New VAT rules regarding the asset management industry have been postponed to 1 July 2017.
- India: There is a summary of the highlights of GST Council meetings held/to be held in March 2017.
- India: The Central Board of Excise and Customs has issued a circular to clarify the levy of service tax on services by way of transportation of goods by a vessel from a place outside India to a customs station in India with respect to goods intended for transshipment to any country outside India.
- India: The exemption for services provided 'to’ an educational institution has been restricted to certain specified institutions.
- Indonesia: Import duty tariffs have increased for 300 tariff lines.
- Indonesia: A new regulation on the import of postal goods is advantageous for e-commerce.
- Indonesia: To simplify the procedure and streamline the acquisition of business licenses, the Indonesian Customs Authority and the Directorate General of Tax have established a single identity number program.
- Indonesia: There is a new procedure for determing the classification of import goods prior to the submission of the customs declaration.
- Malaysia: The transfer of business as going concern and tax invoice and records keeping guides have been updated.
- Malaysia: There have been amendments to GST orders relating to exempt supplies and zero-rating.
- Malaysia: The question of whether a branch is a separate entity from the overseas headquarters for GST purposes is considered.
- Malaysia: Deloitte Malaysia offers Customized GST training.
- EU-Mexico: A delegation of European Union parliamentarians has met the Mexican Minister of Economy.
- Belgium: A Royal Decree regarding the repeal of the prepayment requirement for quarterly VAT taxpayers was published on 23 February 2017 and will be effective as of 1 April 2017.
- Finland: A recent ruling by the Supreme Administrative Court has significantly changed the VAT treatment of indemnities, in addition, there are upcoming changes to the VAT treatment of booking fees.
- Finland: The SAC has given two rulings that restrict the right of VAT deduction.
- Israel: There has been an extension to the requirement to disclose a position contradicting the tax authorities' published position.
- Italy: There is a ministerial decree and tax authorities' guidance on the changes to the VAT warehouse regime.
- Italy: The Milleproroghe decree has been approved and converted into law, including VAT amendments regarding Intrastat obligations and the quarterly communication of invoices and customs bills.
- Italy: The deadlines for the optional e-communication of invoices and customs bills have been aligned to the deadlines for the mandatory e-communication of invoices and customs bills.
- Italy: The form for the quarterly communication of VAT calculation data has been approved.
- Italy: The tax authorities and the customs authorities have issued a press release on Intrastat reporting obligations.
- Italy: Updated clarifications have been issued regarding the application of the Union Customs Code.
- Poland: The Court of Justice of the European Union has ruled that e-books do not qualify for the lower VAT rate.
- Portugal: The Court of Justice of the European Union has ruled that VIES is not critical to intra-Community dispatch accounting.
- Portugal: A ruling has been issued on the application of the VAT exemption for supplies of dental prostheses.
- Portugal: A new system will apply with respect to the application of the VAT exemption for the export of goods by non-EU residents.
- Portugal: There has been an Arbitration Court decision regarding the application of the waiver of the VAT exemption applicable to private clinics and private practitioners
- Portugal: There have been amendments to the rules regarding the tax contribution for light plastic bags.
- Russia: The Ministry of Finance has clarified foreign e-service providers' VAT liabilities.
- Russia: It has been reported that a Draft Law has been submitted on amending the application of VAT to export operations.
- Russia: The Government is considering zero-rating VAT on the re-export of processed products.
- Russia: There is the prospect of an initiative to reduce social contributions and to increase the standard VAT rate.
- Russia: There are proposals to streamline alcohol excise duties.
- Russia: The export of tanning semi-finished products has been prohibited.
- South Africa: A reduction has been proposed in the rate for the planned tax on sugary beverages.
- Sweden: The Government has decided not to proceed with a proposed financial activity tax.
- Ukraine: There has been clarification of the requirements for movement certificate EUR.1.
- Ukraine: Anti-dumping duties on Russian fertilizers have been suspended to 1 July 2017.
- United Kingdom: The Court of Justice of the European Union has ruled that the VAT ‘cultural exemption’ is not directly effective.
- United Kingdom: The Office of Tax Simplification has published its interim report on VAT simplification.
- United Kingdom: The Spring Budget 2017 was delivered on 8 March 2017, including a number of indirect tax measures.
- Eurasian Economic Union: Preliminary information will be required for goods imported via air transport.
- Eurasian Economic Union: There has been an extension to the pilot project on the marking of fur goods.
- Eurasian Economic Union: A Technical Regulation has been introduced with respect to mineral fertilizers.
- Eurasian Economic Union: The import customs duty rates of certain goods have been amended.