2020 Global Aerospace and Defense industry outlook
Exploring Aerospace and Defense industry trends
The defense sector soared in 2019 as defense budgets increased. But production-related issues, cancelations, and fewer orders slowed growth in the commercial aerospace sector and the global aerospace and defense industry overall. Will things rebound in 2020? Long-term demand for commercial aircraft and innovative technologies may hold the answer.
After a strong year in 2018, the global aerospace and defense (A&D) industry has experienced descent in 2019. While the defense sector has continued to soar, growth in the commercial aerospace sector has slowed. In 2020, the A&D industry is expected to get back to its growth trajectory with the commercial aerospace sector recovering from its decline in 2019.
This outlook reviews the performance of the A&D industry in 2019 and speculates its growth in the coming years. It also outlines performance across the key markets and explores trends that will impact the industry.
- The commercial aerospace sector experienced decline in deliveries in 2019 due to production-related issues in certain aircraft models.
- Military expenses are on the rise as security threats continue to intensify.
- Changes in the international trade agreements will likely disrupt the global supply chain and increase costs.
- 2020 is likely to be a year of significant milestones for the global commercial space ecosystem—the sector may see steady investments in new and existing space technologies.
- Though the A&D industry’s growth is primarily led by the United States, few other regions such as China, France, India, Japan, the Middle East, and the UK, will be contributing to the industry’s performance in the near term.
- 2019 Global aerospace and defense sector outlook
- 2018 Global aerospace and defense sector outlook
- 2017 Global aerospace and defense sector outlook
- 2016 Global aerospace and defense sector outlook
- 2015 Global aerospace and defense industry outlook
- 2014 Global Manufacturing Aerospace & Defense global financial performance study
- 2014 Aerospace & Defense global financial performance study (infographic)